Cut down a kitchen cabinet door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The built in microwave which we have above our oven recently broke so I replaced it. As it was old I couldn't get like for like. The built in microwave was a standard size and fitted the gap fine but because of the way it's built it was slightly higher than the old microwave. The gap for the cupboard door above the microwave is approx 1cm to 1.5 cm too small for the door. I don't have an option to return the microwave. It therefore looks like I'll need to cut down the door.

I think the door is solid oak, but as I'll only get one chance to do this right I thought I'd ask for some advice on here. Firstly am I doing the right thing cutting down the door? Secondly, am I right in thinking I should cut the door from the top to hide the fact it's not machine engineered anymore? Thirdly, any advice on how to cut it and what with so I don't chip it and ruin it.

Many thanks,
Richard.
image0 (2).jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg

Sponsored Links
Move hinge plates up a few mm and let it overhang at top no one will notice.

Unfortunately I can't do that as there's one of those fancy edge things at the top that over hangs (and for the life of me I can't remember what they're called) :)

Sponsored Links
I would trim with power plane , less risk of chipping. Are you sure there is no height adjustment on microwave? possibility to lower its shelf? Unusual for oven unit not to fit tower without cutting doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back