cut ends of fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone please advise me on which product I should use to treat cut ends of arris rails and posts please. Also, can I nail/screw with this stuff still wet?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
wet from treatment you apply yes sodden timber can shrink by around 10% or 10mm in the hundred

ok, I will cut them tight. Any suggestion on whch product I should use to seal the cut ends?

your ok along the grain the shrinkage is minimal
they should also be pressure treated so not need the ends treated

Sponsored Links
they're already pre-treated. I just need to cut the arrow rails, gravel boards and posts. I was advised to treat the cut ends and didn't know what to use. Any product names please?

Hi there

I've looked into this a couple of times... First of all, I should point out that opinion is very divided and you get as many people saying that it is unnecessary as those saying it is necessary. I thought the people saying it IS necessary had the stronger arguments and so will be treating my cut ends.

Here's a thread I made on the subject with the questions I had in mind:

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/c...treatment-does-ensele-green-dry-clear.459332/

I went for the Ensele as it is specifically designed for the treatment of the cut ends of tanalised timber, rather than being a more standard jack-of-all-trades wood preserver. Whether there is mileage in that or whether it is clever marketing which allows for a higher price tag, I don't know. But I decided better to be safe than sorry. I got my tin of Ensele from Toolstation for around £14.

I think it is Ronseal who also do a specific end grain treatment, although I'm not sure their product dries to such a subtle colour and so there's a potential for the cut ends to be a lot darker and stick out like sore thumbs. Haven't used my Ensele yet, but according to the video (link in my thread above) it seems to blend in well colour wise once it dries (which is what I wanted).

If you decide to go down the preserver route, Blackfriars also got some thumbs up no another forum I use.

Cheers

Oh, and if blending in the colour of the cut ends is important to you, I believe that Ensele also do a Brown - although it seems a bit harder to get hold of. My timber was all green so wasn't a problem for me...

I had trouble finding clear in a specific end grain treatment (as above).

But did you watch the Ensele video? Here it is (on the right hand side):

http://www.archtimberprotection.com/ensele/

If it performs as per the video then it should be fine if you are using new tanalised green timber. I will be using mine in the next week or so. So if you are not in a rush I could report back with results and photos if you like?

Thanks @MaxDread.
I am planning to finish this project off on Saturday, weather permitting. The posts went in last week and I have a neighbour who is keeping a close eye!

I've seen the video now and it appears to be a very subtle green. So even though my fencing is brown, if I apply this carefully onto the ends, I don't think it should present an issue with aesthetics. Would you agree?

It's hard for me to say really. I haven't actually used the stuff yet. And I'm a novice at most. I was just sharing more what I have learnt through research. I guess it largely depends on how important the aesthetics are, how visible those sections will be, etc.

Are you able to get hold of the brown ensele locally (or on line with next day delivery)?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back