Cut-out fuse cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just got a quote from the DNO for 200 quid to up the cut-out fuse from 40 to 60. Sounds a bit steep?? How much do you guys usually expect to pay for a fuse upgrade? Not had many so I don't have much to go off. Allegedly, they were offering to do it for free not long ago.

Sponsored Links
Free if you blow it.
If you haven't, why do you want it changed?

200 is extortion if that's all they are doing.
Ha. New outbuilding, which renders the existing supply inadequate.
Precisely, I will request further clarification on exactly what they are going to do. If it's 200 to swap a fuse, then I'll get haggling.

40A is low. How do you know it is 40A?

Usually 60A or 80A, maybe 100A, depending on the size of the supply cable.

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that when they upgrade your main fuse, they also have to increase the expectation of load on the supply network. Based on some of the numbers I've heard for "network upgrades" required to provide a supply to some places, £200 is "back of the sofa" small change.

Bear in mind that when they upgrade your main fuse, they also have to increase the expectation of load on the supply network. Based on some of the numbers I've heard for "network upgrades" required to provide a supply to some places, £200 is "back of the sofa" small change.
Yup. A job we did earlier in the year, £2000 to upgrade a supply to a rebuilt residential barn. To supply an agricultural barn on the DNO side from this same, upgraded supply £20,000. The DNO were perfectly happy for us to submain the agricultural barn from the residential supply though.

How bonkers is that?! £2000 because they installed 185mm² from the nearest pole mounted tranny to about a 1.5m from the head, 35mm² into the head. All crazy.

You could do the fuse change for that money.

Three a week?

One a day shows how ludicrous the charge is.

My supplier, charges £100 to remove a cutout fuse and £100 to put it back in = £200 :ROFLMAO:

They might have to swap the cutout to do the upgrade.

It was SSE, I came across it while looking through their terms and conditions etc. relating to their smart meters. I assume none of their customers have read the terms otherwise they wouldn't agree to having one fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back