Cut out fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

So here is my first proper post lol

Last Friday we had to do a CU change, and first thing my boss did was to pull out the main fuse (he cut the seal). I was a little shocked at the time as the DNO owns it?

When i asked him about it, he said it was either that or connect the tails to the new CU while they were live and that i should get used to it as in the coming weeks i will have to do it myself.

So i was wondering if this was standard practice? I see the catch 22 situation here and i dont really want to have to work live myself but i also dont want to have to pull them.

What does everyone here do in this situation?

Do you have to get the DNO out eveytime you want to change a CU? (something my boss never does)

Do you have to work live?

Or do you just pull the main fuse?

I know im new to the game but it just seems that it could be very risky pulling the main fuse, i mean if the fuse for some reason breaks your screwed?

Im really interested to see what you all think and do in this situation.

nb

Sponsored Links
Quite simple, it is not legal for a non-authorised person (i.e. you have to be specifically trained and authorised by the DNO) to break a seal on either the cut-out, the meter or both and withdraw the fuse.

No ifs, no buts!!

The reality is though that a lot do it as there is no system in place to stop it unless there is an incident, in which case I'm sure the HSE would get involved.

Sponsored Links
Yep, a bit different to working on a live conductor though.
Hence the need to do a risk assessment and wear the correct PPE for the job.

It's not illegal but the cutout belongs to the DNO and no DNO gives you permission to break their seal or to pull their fuse. Indeed, they tell you not to interfere with their equipment.

If you do so, you do it at your risk. The DNO has deliberately absolved itself of any risk by not giving you permission.

You boss tells you to do it. As it's not illegal, I'd do it, but the boss takes the risk.

You are supposed to arrange a visit from the DNO well in advance unless it is an emergency (damaged CU or something) then you are supposed to get them out as an emergency call. Is all of that practical in the real world?

Have you never been presented with this specific dilemma before? If you are changing a CU in the next few weeks then I assume you are not that new to the business?

but its good for strengthening buttock muscles
:LOL: :LOL:

However being serious......As mentioned above if you do decide to cut the seal and remove the fuse yourself (personallyI dont recommend you do but it does go on out there in the real world).....please use the appropriate PPE for the task mainly gloves,visor and overalls......

neeb.jpg

Srlys? I'd imagine the dno would get peed of with the calls to come out and pull the fuse, just so someone can change a CU.

Question to someone who has done the above, do they charge for coming out? If so how much and I guess you have to add it to the bill.

Srlys? I'd imagine the dno would get peed of with the calls to come out and pull the fuse, just so someone can change a CU.

Question to someone who has done the above, do they charge for coming out? If so how much and I guess you have to add it to the bill.[/quote

That is actually a very good point. Would they have the manpower?

We have done it once because the cut-out was in the adjoining property and it was less than a year ago. £46+VAT. But that is going vary by DNO and possibly region.

In fact they showed up (as did we) and the neighbour had gone out - forgot the appointment !!!!

you also have to hope the fuse is placed in the phase, and that the neutral isn't floating horribly above earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back