Cut out fuse

Sponsored Links
meter-1.jpg

Simple

But doing it that way doesn't let you find out the supply authority fuse size for your EIC ;)

Though I suppose it is somewhat un-important in a standard domestic. The load reported by a datalogger is somewhat smaller than the OSG would lead you to beleive (and any peak above 25A is very rarely maintained for long). 16mm tails on a 100A fuse arn't really in any risk of overheating in a standard domestic. And a 60A fuse is in reality very unlikely to fail even if you do boil the kettle while cooking dinner when the shower is running :LOL:

...Assuming 4 bed detacted property on accacia ave in the subburbs with gas central heating etc

Sponsored Links
At the risk of resurrecting something that should be long buried ...

Given that it seems some DNOs don't seem keen on fitting a switch, does a terminal block (Henley ?) have any utility ?
I know it means still working on a live circuit, but it seems that if there's a connector block, then you've only four (?) screws to loosen before you can drop the supply end of the CU tails out - and thus aren't left with floating live wires as would be the case if you did a CU change live (no I'd never consider that either :rolleyes:)

I guess there's still the problem of actually getting the connector(s) installed where they aren't already fitted though.

I know it means still working on a live circuit, but it seems that if there's a connector block, then you've only four (?) screws to loosen before you can drop the supply end of the CU tails out

They certainly help where fitted. I switch off the CU, drop the neutral then the phase. Some Henley blocks only take up to 16mm tails which is a pain if you wanted to take the opportunity of fitting 25mm tails.

They certainly help where fitted. I switch off the CU, drop the neutral then the phase.

If you do, do that change to doing the neutral off last and back on first. That conforms with our best practice.

They certainly help where fitted. I switch off the CU, drop the neutral then the phase.

If you do, do that change to doing the neutral off last and back on first. That conforms with our best practice.

Momentary loss of clarity/logic on my part Westie, I do it the way you have suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back