meter tails

Sponsored Links
We had one last night, damp in a CU had actually operated a pole mounted fuse, cut-out fuse removed (a split single 240/480V supply)and it was replaced.
Cut-out fuse replaced and the cutout exploded.

A bit of further investigation showed a lot of soot and signs of burning in the CU

u misunderstood. i said that cutting the tails after the main
fuse wasnt illegal. That part of the installation belongs to the
consumer. I have seen many electricians who work live
without pulling the main fuse! u honestly saying u dont???

The electrician is working - so the consumer's house becomes a place of work and HSW and EAWR are applicable. Working live is only going to be acceptable/legal if these is no practical alternative, after a full RA and with appropriate mitigating actions and PPE.

And pulling the main fuse counts as working live within the definitions in the EAWR.

Sponsored Links
Don't know if you saw my thread about high Ze, but the dno chap turned up, tried to pull out the BS3036 fuse from a cast iron cutout and ended up prising it out with a screwdriver. No PPE and the supply was still on load :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back