meter tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wud u say it was better to cut the tails wen installing a new
consumer unit or to pull the main fuse? An electrician who was
on a job i was doing who is time served and a member of the
niceic does it this way and tapes up the tails until he fits an isolater.
He also said that if a situation is unsafe then u r entitled
to pull the fuse.
I know ur gonna say 'imform DNO' but how many sparkys
bother honestly? In all reality, wen DNO move supplies in a property, they do it live dont they?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The other week I foolishly got a shock across my heart. Fortunately for me the circuit was 30ma rcd protected. As we know most 30mA rcd's actually trip at around 20mA within 40ms or so which is what a disconnection time of 0.04 seconds? So quite likely my heart was only exposed to 20mA for 0.04 of a second.

I felt a very significant shudder right across me which I would not like to repeat.

I wander what the disconnection time of me holding a meter tail is with a 60 amp 1561 or 88 between me and the sub station?

I think I'll stick to pulling the fuse thanks. As you must know, when we consider the tails look a little dark we have to break the seal and pull the fuse to check the connections and make sure they have not been arcing. Once we've had to do that we get on with our work, and put it back when we've finished.

that was my point exactly. Seems to me that some electricians fit new CU's "live" so that they dont have to cut the seal. No one can say that its illegal can they. Just quite dangerous. I'd like to know how many actually get DNO out to disconnect or pull the fuse. I know that i would rather just pull the fuse myself rather than cut the tails or pull them out of the old CU.

oohthatslive!! said:
that was my point exactly. Seems to me that some electricians fit new CU's "live" so that they dont have to cut the seal.

I don't know of a single domestic electrician that will work live on a consumer unit... then again maybe those that do don't survive long enough to become known :eek:

oohthatslive!! said:
No one can say that its illegal can they.

IMGP2214.jpg

How about Western Power Distribution?

WARNING - It is dangerous and an offence to interfere with this apparatus

WARNING - Interference with this installation is illegal and could cause death or injury

u misunderstood. i said that cutting the tails after the main
fuse wasnt illegal. That part of the installation belongs to the
consumer. I have seen many electricians who work live
without pulling the main fuse! u honestly saying u dont???

I used to do it, as when I was younger under my boss, this was the way he worked as he previously worked for the lecky board. I did the same for a while, and also moved several overhead service drops etc.

Now I am not under my boss so to speak, I do not do it this way - I realised there are easier and safer ways to do it.

Luckily, even though WPD use those labels, our branch are happy for us to pull the main fuse as long as we send in a connection cert to them, even if the cert only has an address on it - they then see the site adress, recognise name of installer, and will reseal when passing.

If it required new tails, we leave the 25's henley'ed to the old tails loose - they then stick them in at the same time. If it is a TT to PME upgrade, we leave an RCD in place of the henleys, and leave an earth hanging for them. They always leave the henleys or the RCD on site for us to pick up at some point.

Chopping tails live may make you feel big and hard, and like one of the real boys, but it is daft to do it when you can isolate. The DNO boys do it live as it is not convenient to keep turning streets or areas of estates etc off to work on the network. Look at how many engineers they have out in a day - how many powercuts would they cause if they had to isolate all the time?

The DNO have very strict health and saftey policies regarding live working, and have all the safety equipment they require to work safely (they may not always use it! But it is supplied).

As an aside - why do electricity companies stop you removing the main fuse. Surely it would be safer for everyone if people were allowed to do this.

Where do you draw the line? Try drawing up legislation that says "only certain sparks can withdraw the use".

"Certain Sparks" meaning qualified or competent......which means what exactly? You get the idea.

Basically, with the fuse removed, there is a huge gaping whole in the carrier which is backed usually by fuses at the local sub in region of 400amp. Even the DNO's carry empty carriers which are to be inserted when the fuse in removed. Do sparks carry them!?!.....(do the dno engineers use them).

Lecky can obviouslt also be stolen, although this is never really listed as a serious reason.

thats my point. its just so obvious that you pull the main fuse. its the safest option. who cares if western power put a sticker on it. no one takes any notice of it. as long as we do the work correctly then wots the problem? mr diy probably wud s**t himself at the thought of it. He's not gonna pull the fuse. true or not?

ever seen one of them blow up when you pull the fuse its not pretty!! i wouldn't want to be stood in front of it with no knowledge (have a go sparky)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back