Cut out fuse

We would be very unhappy with you!!

No, seriously do not attempt it, the incomming cable is not flexible, armoured or anchored so if you get it wrong you can risk an explosion (the cable would be protected by a minumum of a 200A fuse, probably higher that may or may not operate!)
You risk putting stress on the cutout and damaging it by the cable moving.
Think, if nothing else you will be trying to rotate the whole assembly through 180deg this WILL twist the cable in the cutout and has a high chance of causing one of the above.

In the event of any of the above you could be facing a bill higher than paying the DNO to move it.

Even if nothing goes wrong you risk it failing at a later date again if we can show you had moved it we would be charging you for the repair.

Sponsored Links
What is the situation if the user were to move the whole board within the reach of the existing supply cable ?"
Potentially very nasty.

As Westie says it is at least 200 amps. That is about 50 Kwatts concentrated in the arc where the cable is damaged. It looks like a very powerful Roman Candle spitting out molten aluminium and copper.

My reason for not wanting one is that the box is easily accessible to passers by and the switch makes it very easy to turn off my electricity supply. It is very unlikely anyone should wish to do so but there have been instances where it has happened. If I was allowed to lock the box then no problem. But I cannot lock the box as the meter reader has to have access.
The powers that be have decided that as the cabinet is the customers they are now responsible for it's care and maintenence.
And therefore quite at liberty to padlock it shut if they wish.

What is the situation if the user were to move the whole board within the reach of the existing supply cable ?"
Potentially very nasty.

As Westie says it is at least 200 amps. That is about 50 Kwatts concentrated in the arc where the cable is damaged. It looks like a very powerful Roman Candle spitting out molten aluminium and copper.
A job for 5th Nov then :LOL:

That is a joke, I won't be moving it.

Sponsored Links
Rather that trying to co-ordinate the DNO to come and remove the fuse, and then come back at the right time to put it back again. If asked, would the DNO come and fit a switch instead, and any idea what they'd charge ?

I had this done recently, contacted my supplier (not the DNO) and they arranged fitting of a double pole switch after the meter. In my case (supplier was British Gas) it cost £29 . Surely its worth paying that to avoid the risks of pulling a fuse yourself.

.... the house and all the flats next door have them. I assume the ones in the flat aren't actually required since the installer provided switch/fuse is within the prescribed distance from the meter.
What somewhat intrigues me is that all of the isolators in your piccies have been wired as only single-pole.
IIRC the ESQCR forbids suppliers from putting isolators in their neutral connections because supplier neutrals are often used as combined neutral and earths and isolating a combined neutral and earth is BAD.

I guess whether an isolate at the demarcation point counts as being "in" their neutral is somewhat a matter of interpretation.

If it's upstream of the point where the installation earth is taken off the supply neutral then it is Bad.

If it is after then it's Good.

Simples.

... so if you get it wrong you can risk an explosion (the cable would be protected by a minumum of a 200A fuse, probably higher that may or may not operate!)
This brings up another point that's been hinted at several times in this thread.

As I interpret what's been said, it seems that the cable that comes into the house may or may not be properly protected by fusing. Here you giving a dire warning that one fault mode is a heck of an arc that stands a good chance of not tripping upstream protection (for how long) ? I get the impression that the upstream fusing is sized to suit the main cable running under the pavement and not the branches that feed individual properties - that in turn being the source of one risk when pulling fuses.

Is that a fair assessment, or have I grabbed the wrong end of the stick (again) ?

Is that a fair assessment,
You've got it right, it is not unusual for lengths of main to be theoretically unprotected either
Hmm, if I'd known that in mischievous youth days then I think some fun could have been had :evil: It's OK, I wouldn't have been hurt, all youths know they are indestructible at that age :rolleyes:

What somewhat intrigues me is that all of the isolators in your piccies have been wired as only single-pole.
IIRC the ESQCR forbids suppliers from putting isolators in their neutral connections because supplier neutrals are often used as combined neutral and earths and isolating a combined neutral and earth is BAD.
Yes, of course - that goes without saying. No-one is suggesting that there should be an isolator prior to the PEN splittng - as you will see from the pictures, the ones I was talking about are actually after the meter, which is the only place I've ever seen them installed!

An isolating switch prior to the meter (but after service head) would facilitate 'safer' meter changes, but they don't seem interested in that.

Kind Regards, John.

An isolating switch prior to the meter (but after service head) would facilitate 'safer' meter changes, but they don't seem interested in that.
See earlier post - it would also make bypassing the meter to steal electricity easier too :rolleyes:

See earlier post - it would also make bypassing the meter to steal electricity easier too :rolleyes:
... and see my earlier response to that :) ... Provided that the connections to the isolator were sealed, I really don't think it would make that much difference to electricity stealing.

Kind Regards, John.

meter-1.jpg

Simple

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back