Ryefield Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Generally who owns these.
Its after the main cut out so I doubt the DNO are interested.

I guess it depend on if it before or after the meter.

What would be the consensus on pulling fuse from a Ryefield
You would need to be able to identify the correct fuse to pull, but is this still considered as bad a practice as pulling the main fuse

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The Ryefields I have seen feed individual flats that have a cutout (with a solid link in) and a meter, followed by the CU.

So, if I had to isolate, I would do so in the flat, not the Ryefield.

OOI, why do you ask?

Landlords CU needs changing. I normally get an isolator fitted if I change a CU.
It looks like the CU is powered from the Ryefield.

Sponsored Links
Not sure yet
Cu is tight up to metal trunking, there is a meter above, but, they are quite a few. I need to follow the tails to see what goes where, have a look inside the trunking

I guess it's not as simple as the meters being labelled Flat 1, Flat 2, LL supply etcetera?

Inside the board

The trunking above is packed, really difficult to follow the tails, though it is labelled on the door, but how correct that is

5th fuse on yellow
no labels

20190213_092214.jpg

Thats not a Ryefield board I have ever seen, looks like an old Mem, with exposed asbestos, did you check the Asbestos register.

it opens without a tool, big thumb screws.
had a quick look in, closed it. just wondering about what to do. speaking with the client tomorrow.
the LLS i want to change probably has the same asbestos pads.

just wondering about what to do.
Do not go pulling those fuses out with the power on. They can break rather easily, those black dots on the back are just paint/resin over live screw heads, and as already mentioned the pads behind are asbestos.

They are going to need rather more than just replacing the landlords CU.

Is there an isolator prior to that board?

No i don't think there is an isolator to the LLS But the trunking is rammed, so really difficult to follow cables
Most of the isolation for the supplies to the flats contains ceramic fuses
The LLS contains ceramic fuses.

There is no three phase isolation for the MEM board

When you say rather more needs replacing, I presume you mean this MEM (it s a MEM) distribution boards has done its time. I would be very grateful if you could expand on this
If thats the case then I suspect the whole metering and isolation at the intake cupboard has also done its time.
I was only there to run a new lighting circuit and socket in the communal areas, hence the need to RCD. Hummm....

Last edited:
Run the cables on the surface in trunking or conduit, then use RCD spurs (or an sRCD) to give the required protection.

When you say rather more needs replacing, I presume you mean this MEM (it s a MEM) distribution boards has done its time. I would be very grateful if you could expand on this
Yes, that entire lot should be replaced.
60A rewireable fuses are not exactly suitable items for supplies to individual flats, and they are not designed to be removed when powered, so you have no means of isolation to the individual flats.
No upstream isolator also means that if/when a fuse fails, there is no safe way to replace it - shoving a rewireable onto a live circuit with a fault is a sure way to injury and death.
The asbestos issue means that those fuses should not be removed anyway, the cloth behind them is friable and will release asbestos fibres every time a fuse is moved.

If thats the case then I suspect the whole metering and isolation at the intake cupboard has also done its time.
Probably.
Also raises the question of what state some of the wiring is in, given the significant age of that board.

At the very least, that board should be properly sealed with screws or locks, labelled as containing asbestos, and the (probably non-existent) asbestos register updated accordingly.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated. I won't be pulling anything.

On the subject of this type of distribution board. I would like to know more about its function in the supply chain, and who is responsible for it.

Is it normal for the Ryefield type board to have no isolation? (That is to the Ryefield itself)

Who is usually responsible for it?

Is it usually before or after the meter?

Is pulling a fuse in these 'allowed' if its modern, no asbestos, and not pulling any current.

So basically , if you had to change a CU, powered directly from a modern Ryefield, and you knew the distribution circuit was de energised, is pulling the fuse acceptable? ( this is hypothetical, Im not planning to do this)

Many thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Flameport.

I completely agree with your assessment.
I wonder though how you would code it on a EICR.

Only a C1 or C2 will possibly cause some reaction from a management company, a C3, well , i bet thats put away in a folder.

The asbestos thing, will cause some doubt. But electrically does it require immediate or urgent action. Could it sit there for another 20 years with out issue, or could it cause serious incident tomorrow. Who knows. who decides, money I guess. How hard do you push the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back