Cut through my mower power lead (still alive)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was mowing the lawn with my Qualcast rotary mower last night.
I was daydreaming and accidentally cut through the power cable -- cut it clean in two!
There was a big bang, but fortunately no electric shock. No fuses blown, either on the mower plug or the longer extension lead that runs from the house.

What do I need to avoid this in future -- a RCD socket adapter or something?

Sponsored Links
mike004 said:
What do I need to avoid this in future -- a RCD socket adapter or something?

Don't run over the cable! :p

But seriously, I'm surprised that you didn't blow a fuse or trip a breaker somewhere. In future as a minimum you should be using some sort of RCD protection on any electrical equipment used outdoors. A plug in RCD would be better than nothing...

Mike, I'm glad your still with us, some people are not quite so lucky!

The socket you plugged your mower into should be protected by a 30mA RCD in the house if it, as it obviously can, be used to supply equipment outside. This can either be in the form of an RCD at your CU protecting the whole ground floor ring or a stand alone RCD socket outlet. Fitting an RCD plug on your mower will sort you out in the short term but you do need to get and RCD fitted in the house as next time it might be the hedge trimmer cable

In the times of class 2 appliances and 2 core flexes, the RCD isn't going to be quite as useful as it potentially could be, its not going to trip out on cutting through a 2 core cable (you'll have to rely on there being a low enough impedance through the act of a metal blade cutting it to disconnect the supply- and in your case, and my experience*, it doesn't always happen, sometimes manages it, luck of the draw...) The RCD however will give you a far greater chance of surviving when you pick up the (still live) cut end and say "Oh feck, I've ballsed up"

Think it was ban who suggested that an earth core would be a welcome addition to the flex of outdoor tools, to enable it to trip an RCD when cut, but alas, that would cost money...

*Twice my father has managed to chop the flex off the hedge trimmer :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
What I do know is that you dont live in North London, Would have needed a rowing boat last night. I had ducks & a fisherman on my lawn :LOL:

In every case of mower cut twin core I've seen (quite a few now actually) the MCB's tripped.
In class 2 appliances you should be okay even if the MCB and RCD don't trip provided you are blessed with a certain degree of common sense ...
"Oh, the mower has cut out"
Check still plugged in ... Okay
Wait a couple of minutes for the thermal cutout to reset
"Hmmmnn still ain't working"
Check the fuse ... Okay
Check the cable and notice it is cut
Common Sense Test Follows
"Grab hold of the wires to see if the MCB has tripped"
Or
"Check the CU to see if the MCB/RCD have tripped"
Or
"Unplug and repair the cable as it's knackered anyway"

We should just let some people burn :LOL:

After vutting through a head trimmer :rolleyes: wire.
I purchased a long extension lead with double socket and an RCA on teh end so got 2 things for the price of one.

I use it for mower, hedge trimmer, jet wash, vacum and its clicked off ok so far.

think it cost £17.00

OJ

how do you plug a lawnmower into an RCA outlet? :eek: :eek:

<disclaimer: i realise Odd Job meant RCD, just having some fun>

Simple.

Oddjob has it wired to a RCA phono plug!!

Hope it not a gold plated one !!!! :eek:

Remind me not to lend him my CD Player.

<disclaimer: i realise Odd Job meant RCD, just having some fun>

Out of interest , I VUT my finger the other day!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back