Severed Lawn Mower cable

Highly unlikely you will electrocute yourself by cutting through a lawnmover cable. The mower handles are all isolated and the fuse will trip as soon as the cable is cut. Wouldn't wase your cash.

if there is already an RCD in the CU then there is “no need to waste your cash”, other wise i urge anyone using any equipment outdoors to use an RCD, especially on any device with a spinning blade and a trailing cable –although theres a good change of blowing the fuse, theres also a reasonable chance of only damaging the insulation on the live and you only finding out when you are packing up the cable with you stood outdoors forming a good earth path! Plug in RCD’s are not expensive.

Sponsored Links
Especially with an older installation using BS3036 fuses. Id say an RCD was essential when using garden power tools.

I thought the dangerous part of cutting a mower wire, was if you went back and picked up the severed end of the cable while saying Dohhh.

So having an RCD either in the consumer unit or locally for that appliance, between you and the mains supply is a very good idea.

Sponsored Links
And besides, the OP probably has an RCD at the origin somewhere, probably the "fuse that tripped" was an RCD. ;)

an RCD is definitelly a must if you damage cable without noticing and then touch the damaged part without and RCD your gonna fry :eek:

RCD always.
Grass could be wet ect.
Other faults, ALWAYS use a RCD.

Ignore fools who say otherwise.

it was but if you want to call me a liar go right ahead see if i care :p

Well - if you're going to be replying to 3-year old posts because you don't give a flying one about whether that's a good idea or not you're not going to have an easy time of it here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back