Cut wood silently???

Just get the job done.

If you really want quiet then you'll need to invest in a laser :)

Sponsored Links
Unreasonable neighbours really wind me up!

I would prove a point by letting your house go to rack and ruin over the next twenty years and really lower the tone of the street.,....then when they complain about the state of the place you can say..

"Well! you forbid me to do any work and bang on the wall as soon as I try and cut a piece of wood!"

Maybe do what escaping prisoner Tim Robbins did in the Shawshank Redemption and time your cutting strokes with a thunder clap.

Thanks for all the responses.

I really am looking for a solution in the form of a tool.....taking time off work or having the wood cut by somebody else is not an option.....and it is not an option for there to be any noise made that the neighbours could complain about.

I notice mattylad mentions a laser. I have looked at lasers, but the only ones I have come across are large commercial machines......Does anybody know if there are any handheld ones out there?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A month ago, the OP was asking about building a 2 story extension, and is now concerned that cutting a bit of timber will make too much noise and annoy the neighbours.

If these neighbours do exist and would actually complain about such trivial things, they will already have made thousands of other complaints about every other noise such as switching on the television, walking across the room, flushing the toilet or closing the front door.

If this is actually a serious enquiry - there is no such silent tool. Cutting timber and doing any form of construction work makes noise. It cannot be avoided.

A month ago, the OP was asking about building a 2 story extension, and is now concerned that cutting a bit of timber will make too much noise and annoy the neighbours.

If these neighbours do exist and would actually complain about such trivial things, they will already have made thousands of other complaints about every other noise such as switching on the television, walking across the room, flushing the toilet or closing the front door.

If this is actually a serious enquiry - there is no such silent tool. Cutting timber and doing any form of construction work makes noise. It cannot be avoided.

I would suggest that you check your facts before stating them.....The enquiry that I made previously, around 7 weeks ago, was regarding a raft foundation. That enquiry is clearly not relevant to my current enquiry.

If you can't add anything helpful, I would suggest that you don't add anything at all......There are people on here, such as myself, who post genuine enquiries and other people who post helpful responses; perhaps you could learn from us and refrain from being so rude.

How many of these 4x4's do you need to cut and what are they for? You might get some more helpful replies if you explain and fill in the blanks.

Who do you fear that the neighbours will complain to? Clearly they must be very unreasonable, but you are allowed to make noise.

You must be just a little barmy if you think there might be a magic tool that a diyer can afford that will cut 4 x 4's silently.

Good luck.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses.

Lol re. the DIY laser cutter made out of wood!

I'll probably try the wire saw or a nice sharp new saw as suggested.

Thanks again.

There is no answer to this one, really! I've had a ****-stirring neighbour in the past who reported me for noisiness, including several occassions when I actually wasn't there (it was a neighbour two or three doors down making the racket - terrace houses - and I was out at work :rolleyes:). You can't please them so just tell them when you are going to be working, keep the noise to the minimum duration (so power tools rather than hand tools) and work at reasonable times (i.e. between 8am and 6pm) and the council won't be able to touch you........ Oh yes, and if you think they are going to cause trouble with Environmental Services at the council it may be best to keep a log of everything you do and when. If it comes to threats the possession of such a log can blow their clains straight out of the water. As others have said you have a legal right to maintain your property and they cannot interfere.

My local council started out by taking the side of the **** stirrers and wrote me several pretty threatening letters before I called their bluff, told them that I kept a log, but also told them to either take me to court or back off. I suggested that their behaviour was harrassment which can be a criminal offence. No problems for 5 or 6 yeas now. But then I don't do much on the house

Why is their right to silence more important than your right to maintain your house?
Why are you even bothered, are you scared they're going to beat you up?

The noise act says you can make noise between 7am-11pm, not 8-6.

You are also entitled to make more noise from time to time, you are entitled to do some work on your house that includes making noise.

Just try and be considerate when doing so, dont be banging etc late at night, stop at a reasonable time.

I have always talked with my neighbours, and agreed noise will be kept between 8am & 9pm.

If they had small children, I would try my best to stop by 7pm, although could be a bit more difficult during the week.

Lasers for cutting wood? Deary me.....

The noise act says you can make noise between 7am-11pm, not 8-6.
Maybe so, but you'll find that if you restrict yourself to working between 8am and 6pm you'll get a lot less grief from your other neighbours....... Especially the ones with small kids

We've only got one side of the story here. He's probably one of those that knocks and bumps all hours but thinks he doesn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back