Cutting 1.5mm steel

G

Goldspoon

I have to make a register plate to fill the gap above a wood burning stove. Building regs state that it must be of 1.5mm rust protected steel (and it is going thru building regs before anybody shouts).

Please bear with me if questions are basic but...

1. Where would I go to buy 1.5mm metal sheet - what sort of merchants?
2. How do I make it "rust protected" (just spray it)?
3. How do I cut it generally?
4. What is the best way of cutting a hole in it (hole will be 6")

As you can see I don't usually "do metal"...

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
B&Q sell metal rods and sheets, but I think they only do perforated and decorative stuff..

rust proof would be galvanised or stainless..

look in the yellow pages for sheet metal workers.. or have a trawl round the industrial estates..
anywhere you hear lound banging will probably be making stuff from steel sheet.. collar one of the guys and see if they'll sell you an offcut..

or...
http://www.metals4u.co.uk/products.asp?Cat_ID=55&gclid=CPrJmKT1m5wCFUYA4wodX0GGeA

Buy a register plate with the 6" hole already cut in it, then trim it to size for your application, using a jig saw with a metal cutting blade, use lubricant and let the saw cut at it's own speed.

Google search....register plate stove..

Sponsored Links
Thanks everybody!

Wotan - that looks like the best way to go... great!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back