Cutting 100mm square fence posts to size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted these and set them into the ground. Done a few weeks ago. I now want to cut these to the same length and fit caps on them.
Should I use a recip saw or circular saw for this please?

Sponsored Links
If you have a circular saw -use that.

clamp a wooden board say 6 x 1 section about 18inches long -which will support the saw on its whole length.

or use a hand saw.

I think a recip saw would leave a cut like it had been chewed by a dog.

So the posts are mounted in the ground but all at different heights?
If so, you need to decide on what height you want the post to finish. Then run a chalk string from first to last post, ensuring it is perfectly horizontal, and 'twang' it so it leaves a mark on each post. This is your cutting mark. Do NOT measure from the ground up at individual posts as the ground will undulate and give you different heights.
Once you have marked all the posts with chalk, pencil them in using a set square to ensure a straight line. You now have a semi-permanent mark in case the chalk gets brushed/rained off. If you take the pencil line around all sides this can help to make sure of a straight cut. Use either a circular saw or a cross-cut hand saw. You will have to use them on their side which creates a bit of an awkward angle though. Take your time cutting so you get it right.
What kind of caps are you fitting? Flat ones really need to be fitted with a slight slope so water runs off instead of settling.

alternative
baton secured to the line each side and making sure the saw is flat and in line [not resting with the weight off the saw on the blade]then recip saw shoe on baton blade rubbing top

Sponsored Links
clamp a wooden board say 6 x 1 section about 18inches long -which will support the saw on its whole length.
Does this need to be clamped on both opposing sides of the post as I expect that a single pass of the circular saw will not cut through the entire 100mm post?

So the posts are mounted in the ground but all at different heights?
Yes. I didn't explain this too well. Apologies.
The posts are set and the fence panels are also in. I brought longer posts that I needed to cope with undulation in the ground. I managed to fit the panels level at the top as I ran a spirit level throughout the run. My gravel boards are very tight against the ground at the starting point and slightly off the ground at the furthest end as this is the lower end of the garden.

upload_2020-7-25_22-14-6.png

upload_2020-7-25_22-18-13.png

What kind of caps are you fitting?
I do have a spare gravel board and was wondering if I could cut that to appropriate size and use as caps? I have wood preservative for the cut ends.

its also worth mentioning if you do use the reciprical saw blade dependant on the blade used a second baton 2mm above the bottom baton on the back may be needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back