Cutting a door to fit - what is the most you can take off?

W

willj23

Hi all,

Wondered if someone can help me.....i am in the process of renovating a property and want to change a door. The measurements of the existing door are just over 197cm long by 65 cm wide.

With this in mind i purchased a door from b&q that is 1981 mm long by 686 mm wide.

I was going to have a crack at hanging it myself, but someone has told me that the door i have bought requires too much off of it, and i need to get one that requires less off.

I wondered if there was a limit (obviously there is one - but a reasonable limit) to how much you can take off of doors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
look at the installation instructions
in general
some hardwood covered doors will only allow 5mm from each side

in general 12mm sides and top 25 bottom is a sensible amount
any more you start getting problems

so providing your doors not lipped you should be ok with 12 off the top and the rest off the bottom :D

But you'll still need to take 18mm off each edge!

That's going to leave the door a bit weak, but it depends on the type of door and the size of the rails.

I have taken more than that off of standard panel doors, but salvaged the rail and refixed it into the door to try and maintain it's strength.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back