cutting a hole in plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have boxed in pipework running floor to ceiling in a shower room - half inch ply on batons- I want to cut a couple of access holes say 12" x12".
What is the best cutting tool to use, I was thinking of a multi tool (oscillating) or would a jigsaw be OK.
I presume that a dremel would,t go to half inch depth with the cutting discs.
any help on this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a jigsaw with a fine blade, after drilling start and finish holes first......but are these access doors going to be visible later?
John :)

hi john, thanks for that, will prob leave as access holes but may tile over and screw back in position later,

I would go for a 4" hole saw if it's for hand access, and use a strip gasket with a lip to fill the gap when refitting, is this a soil stack the pipe box is covering and is the access to an inspection cover?

Sponsored Links
this is to get access to pipework for a shower, I think that I may need a larger hole, i thought that something like the Bosche PMF 180e all rounder may be the right tool but have never seen one in action

One of my techniques for tiling over access panels is to drill the tile and secure it with two screws (with plastic caps) and then very lightly grout the tile.
If access is needed, then slit the grout with a stanley knife, screws out and the tile is removed.
Probably not the best for a drenched area but works well enough.
John :)

can you remove the boxing in ??
if not the tool you can use depends on the pipe position and distance from the cover
a hole saw for example will need around 12 clearance for the saw and up to 25mm for the arbour[center drill]

However you cut this hole, be aware of the pipework behind. You wouldn't want to use a jigsaw, start cutting then realise your going through the pipes as well. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back