Cutting a Moulded Plug/Power Cable

In the time it took you to type that **** a couple of redundant plugs could have been rendered safe
On this occasion I think I have to agree with you. Although the probability of it ever happening (being removed from a rubbish bin/bag, and then being used in a way that did harm) is probably 'vanishingly small', the consequences if it ever did happen could be tragic, so the few seconds it takes to render a plug unusable (or, at the least, remove the fuse) is arguably justifiable.

This is not (like metal baths etc.) a matter of different views about the relative probabilities of opposing risks, since there is no real downside (other than the risk of hitting your finger with a hammer or suchlike!) of making a discarded plug safe.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
A few years ago some one who should have known better took a "redundant" moulded plug from a waste bin and with choc blocks and tape connected it to a cable to feed a bulk head lamp for use as a work light. That was quicker than going out and getting a new plug.

It wasn't me by the way and it has since been replaced with a new wire-able plug ( but I bet there is a13 amp fuse in it )

But returning to the original question...

Running a cable through a wall like that is a really cack thing to do....

I agree - however, there is a hole there and this was the set up of the previous occupants so for the time being we may adopt it too if safe.
Ideally would like to have a socket located behind the TV in future though.

Sponsored Links
Well - I guess you all must live in a different part of the universe to me, because I do not rummage through my bin/rubbish bags in search of electrical accessories, and neither does anybody else.

Please keep the idiots and loonies you know who do away from my house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back