cutting a shower door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a small space (1200x2800) for a bathroom. the back of the room (on the external wall) will be taken up with a shower and shower screen (The ones with the left side static and the right side slides open). I need to get the waste pipe from the toilet through the external wall to connect up with the waste stack but that means going through the static part of the shower screen. Is it ridiculous to try and cut a corner out of the bottom of the glass so i can box in the waste from the toilet and feed it outside? Was thinking of getting a 1000x700 shower tray so i have 200mm to play with to box in the waste.
Thanks, any ideas would be really useful.
Joe.

Sponsored Links
Is it ridiculous to try and cut a corner out of the bottom of the glass
Yes; for safety reasons it's toughened and the entire sheet of glass will explode into thousands of tiny cubes.

If you want to do it you'll have to get a glass custom made (cut) before it is toughened.

Show us pictures of the problem so we can suggest alternatives

Last edited:
Thanks @robinbanks, here is a drawing. I'm planning for the shower to be against the external wall. So i need to get the waste from the toilet, through the shower area, to the outside. Only other thing i can think of is to get a macerator and run the smaller waste pipe below the floor, but ideally I was hoping to save money and just use a standard waste pipe.
bathroom.jpg

What direction do the joists run, and how deep are they? What is the purpose of the room below? How thick is the wall the toilet is attached to? What is on the other side?

Sponsored Links
Joists run from left to right on the picture, in parallel to the longest wall. The room below is a kitchen and since there is a lean-to roof on the external wall about a foot below floor level so going into the room below isn't an option. the wall the toilet is against is a brick wall seperating us from the neighbours so cant go out that side, The wall opposite the toilet is also a no go.

I'm not sure I understand some of the info given. Parallel to the longest wall is up down the picture, not left to right. It also seems to be that the stack punctures the lean-to roof?

How thick is the toilet wall? How thick is the opposite wall? How thick is the floor?

Can you do a 3D drawing, or take photos?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back