Cutting a square hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a woodedn 1/2" ply board screwed to 1" battons, the board can't come off the battons but I would like to make a 6 x 6 square hole in it.

The board is to shallow for my jigsaw, or pad saw and chain drilling would neen a fair bit of work to tidy the edges.

What would the pros use to make a hole in this situation.

Ta

Sponsored Links
:idea: Screw another piece of ply over the existing as to make the blade plunge deep enough. :idea:

when you saw jigsaw i assume you mean the frame of you hand held jigsaw wont reach

some options

power jigsaw

chinese saw

large hacksaw blade and lots off tape to make a handle

oscilating saw like the bosh 180e

floor board saw

some options need a hole drilled in diagonaly opposit corners

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,

Like the look of the link but its a tadge expensive.

If my chosen option doesnt work for me I'll look into the other saws.

Building up to allow the depth to be right is a great idea and one that I will go for.

Cheers

cut a jigsaw blade down to the correct depth.

i did this last week to cut new in-situ plaster board on irregular exisiting rafters to make sure i got the cuts exactly centre of the rafter.never done it that way before but is so easy.

Router with jig and template cutter.

or, as it's plywood, you could score the opening with a ruler and very sharp knife, and then pare back the ply a layer at a time using a sharp chisel.

that Exakt Saw looks like an accident waiting to happen :eek:

i did this last week to cut new in-situ plaster board on irregular exisiting rafters to make sure i got the cuts exactly centre of the rafter.never done it that way before but is so easy.

i use the same method for floor boards as long as you go at a steady pace with pendulum on they cut just fine
if you push too hard the end off the blade will bounce off the top as its a 22mm blade on a 25mm stroke

i use the same method for floor boards as long as you go at a steady pace with pendulum on they cut just fine
if you push too hard the end off the blade will bounce off the top as its a 22mm blade on a 25mm stroke

Chukka/Big-all
Gents,

How do you start the cuts ? I can visualise whats happening once you get going albeit a bit scary as the blade clears the workpiece on each stoke!
I would image a little practice is needed to get the pace right.

Do you cut the blades down with an angle grinder steel cutting blade or something else

cut the blade down with a hacksaw,you'll be surprised how soft the blades are.drill a hole to start your cut.insert the jigsaw blade,keep firm pressure on the jigsaw all the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back