cutting and restraining ceiling joist

M

marsaday

I have to cut 4 ceiling joists based around a truss (2 at each end and on either side of truss) in order to fit 2 channel steels. Where the ceilng joists go into the wall, i have to lay a padstone here.

so i need to cut the CJ at this point. eventually i will strap these joists to the new floor created, but in the mean time do i simply lay a flat strap to hold the cut joist and anchor it to the next 2 joists?

also how do i secure the ceiling joist to the new floor above? is it by straps or hangers?

Sponsored Links
Think you need to explain it a bit clearer, we cant see you waving your arms about to show us. It seems to much reliance on strapping from first read. Joists dont need padstones usually. Joists support floors not other way. More info please. :confused:

The padstones are connected to my new attic floor laid above the ceiling joists.

In the middle of the room there is a huge triangular kingpost. the bottom section is 8.5m in length 60mm x 225mm. We are turning this into a flitch beam using 2 8.7m length C channels.

These channels must bear on padstones. Where the Pstones should be are 4 ceiling joists going into the walls. I need to cut these joists at the walls and removed the wood in the wall. then i can lay my padstone.

So i will be making 4 cuts - on each side of the beam (2) and then at each end (another 2). I will need to support these ceiling joist from my new floor when made, but in the mean time i need to support them some how. will straps do ?

by this i mean a simple piece of flat metal screwed to 3 ceiling joist laying next to the cut one and then screw it into the cut joist. it will not be L shaped and so secured to a wall or such like.

This is a temporary solution. will it be ok?

A bit dodgy with straps etc. Use acrows or timber struts skew nailed up to joists. Sorry didn`t read padstone bit properley. Is using joist hangers off top of padstone a posssible? Means cutting joists close to wall i know but will be a better long term fix.

Sponsored Links
possibly i could use a hanger off the padstone. but i have to cut the joists in order to get the pad stones in.

not sure what you mean by using timber struts. Are these laid between the ceiling joists like noggins?

No a strut is a vertical support member. I meant to use as an alternative to an acrow prop. Support the weight from floor below, it takes weight of the area your working on. It may be easier in the long run to support joists to be cut by acrows up to a piece of board spanning under 2/3 joist. Lift flooring above to expose area. Cut out offending timbers, install pads, fit steels, refit or replace with new joists, which can now be fitted in hangers on the pads.

yes i had thought about the acros and may do that. however, in one room it doesnt matter so much as i want to re board the ceiling anyway. i will test trap this room to see if the the ceiling joist does hold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back