Cutting bathroom flat-pack cabinet for shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to purchase an under-sink bathroom cabinet, that already has a cut-out for the pedestal. The usual flat-pack thing! However, in my bathroom (rented flat), there is a small tiled shelf on the floor, at the back, 16cm high by 9cm wide, which is protecting pipes I imagine. So, I am thinking I can still make the purchase, but would then need to cut the appropriate area out from the back of the bottom of the unit.

I just wonder whether anyone has any suggestions before I tackle this. I have basic DIY skills and am happy for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
It can be easy, depends on the cabinet design
I would probably make the cabinet and cut it afterwards to fit, adding some material to strengthen the area if neeeded

That is what I was wondering about, whether to assemble, then cut, or vice-versa. This is the unit I am looking at.

Sponsored Links
The 'shelf' starts at the pedestal then goes all the way to one corner. The unit is designed to fit under the sink, so, there isn't enough room to lift the whole unit to the same height as the shelf.

I think the only option is to cut the back of the unit so that the shelf becomes the support.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/slY894Aw4rlvy2gT2
slY894Aw4rlvy2gT2
AF1QipOhZqu9UHJU8OBdS6HPaumsVAKmxPzcD7Oy4Fz-
AF1QipOg_japnr2i_Tq17T8VK5Emjk20Ew3n0ckaE6Uy

You will have to cut out a notch from each side of the cabinet, so that the front feet rest on the floor and the back touches the wall.

I'd suggest cutting it so it does not rest on the pipework box, but fix it to the wall with cabinet hangers near the top of the side pieces, as used in kitchen wall cabinets. https://www.screwfix.com/p/nylon-cabinet-brackets-with-mounting-plate-10-pack/91611 If you see branded ones by Blum or Hafele, they may be better quality. You only need two. They are slightly adjustable up and down, in and out.

Let the front feet take the weight on the floor.

I think it will be easiest to cut the sides, and try them for fit, before you assemble the cabinet.

The cabinet would probably benefit from a stiffening shelf fixed rigidly to both sides and the back. You can probably use the piece you cut out from the bottom of the cabinet.

Thanks for that. I think I will cut before assembly, at least the sides. I may just assemble it with parcel tape and put in my desired location, just to get a better idea, before actually doing anything destructive.

Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back