Cutting Disc - Expiry Date?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being a kind soul I lent my small angle grinder to a friend and thew in a packet of unopened stone cutting discs. When he returned the tool, complete with used and unused discs, he mentioned that the discs carried an Expiry Date (2006).

Can anyone suggest why this would be so?

Sponsored Links
I'm only guessing here but abrasive discs are held together by shellac which does age and would then be prone to disintegrating.

Hi Joe

Looks as if you are spot on. Following your reply I did a search and found this:

Warning:
For your own safety please read and follow the information carefully. Failure to do so may lead to serious injury.
Initial Basic Checks
(a) Make sure that the correct abrasive disc is being used in STONE cutting or METAL cutting.
(b) The abrasive disc is not damaged in any way.
(c) Check that the disc is manufactured to European Standard EN12413.
(d) Check that the disc is within the expiry date.
(e) Make sure machine looks clean and safe to use.Check the last electrical testing date of machine.
(f) Attend a training course on correct usage of machine and abrasive discs and be aware of PUWER 1998 regulations.
(g) Read the instruction manual for the machine.

http://www.china-grassland.com/eng/operation_guide.asp?id=231

Sponsored Links
Use them, but where the usual ppe, they will be fine, but for the small cost of replacement, should something go wrong? depends on you now.

its a "use by " date
not only is it illegal for a shop to sell them after the date has expired its also illegal ( and downright foolhardy) to use them

and if a disc doesnt have a date the shop selling them can be prosecuted

How is it illegal to use them? Is it illegal to drink milk after the use by date?

1) They were presumably well in date when I bought them some years ago.

2) Had I have realised they had an 'Expiry Date' I would have not passed them on to a friend to use.

3) I can see how if they had been sold recently and failed that the shop could have been sued but Illegal? - I would welcome the details of the actual law for information.

4) Were I to use them in the privacy of my own home how would the Law know?

Thanks for all comments.

I would hope so - they generaly have about 3 years
2) Had I have realised they had an 'Expiry Date' I would have not passed them on to a friend to use.
Good man

3) I can see how if they had been sold recently and failed that the shop could have been sued but Illegal? - I would welcome the details of the actual law for information.
Just passing on what ive been told by the manufacturers

4) Were I to use them in the privacy of my own home how would the Law know?
by the scars on your face and arms !! :LOL:
The illegal bit probably only applies on a site where Health and safety regs are more stringent

Thanks for all comments.

seaangler";p="1760936 said:
Sandy Beech";p="1760228 said:
I would hope so - they generaly have about 3 years
Hello, I have question
If it is stamped on a Cutting, Grinding disc specific date When do you expect that the date of production of this disc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back