Cutting down bottom of cupboard doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20170912_185015.jpg
20170912_163738.jpg
20170912_151755.jpg

Cutting the bottom of cupboard off 5mm. On the left of pixs I the wood underneath clamped to door being cut is wider and found it difficult to get circular saw in with clamp etc. I used a spirit level as the straight edge but it was bending when clamped. I guess this isn't good so then used a baton. I found with the baton the cut wasn't even all the way along. What us best for a straight edge?

The screws in hinge had paint in them so hit a hammer into the grooves. Is this the best way to get a good grip in the groove?

Sponsored Links
first thing
you are overclamping
second thing clamp with the solo clamp quite firmly but dont overtighten
then g clamp on the edge off the work but quite lightly if gentle pressure wont push the baton off line its fine
only clamp the baton to the door nothing else
you can overhang enough to get the clamp and strait edge off your bench and on the door edge as long as you support the door by another clamp /person/heavy weight /non slip mat if it requires it

Last edited:
first thing
you are overclamping
second thing clamp with the solo clamp quite firmly but dont overtighten
then g clamp on the edge off the work but quite lightly if gentle pressure wont push the baton off line its fine
only clamp the baton to the door nothing else
you can overhang enough to get the clamp and strait edge off your bench and on the door edge as long as you support the door by another clamp /person/heavy weight /non slip mat if it requires it
I thought it would be good to clamp wood underneath so u don't get splinters on the door?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
score along the cut line with a stanley/craft knife to avoid splintering
you can clamp a 3-6mm thick bit off sheet material on the top
also no more than 2mm/3teeth showing when the blade comes through[door thickness plus 2mm]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back