Cutting down flat head screws ie those on sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can you shorten screws - ie those with no point/used on electrical boxes? There must be an easier way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
they're only brass, so either a junior hacksaw, a pair of pliers with or if you have one of those cheap and nasty "all in one" crimpers / strippers, then often have threaded bolt cutting holes in them..

such as these.. often sold in places like halfords or on market stalls.. no good for electrical crimps, but OK for use on car electrics..
100_2115_CrimperTool.jpg

I always use a pair of pliers then dress the end with a file to save damaging the threads on the backbox.

Sponsored Links
The cutting edges went on mine within two weeks. I keep them for cutting bolts only.
I agree that Bahco are best.

There must be an easier way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Easier than what?

How have you been doing it up to now?

194.x600.feat.danielCraig.JAWS.jpg

Actually, the easiest way is not to bother - just buy some the right length and get on with life. :rolleyes:

I always use a pair of pliers then dress the end with a file to save damaging the threads on the backbox.
But if you must shorten them, get a couple of stainless steel M3.5 nuts, put them onto the screw before you chop the end off, then unscrew the nuts. As they get to the chopped end work them backwards and forwards a few times to clean up the thread.

But if you must shorten them, get a couple of stainless steel M3.5 nuts, put them onto the screw before you chop the end off, then unscrew the nuts. As they get to the chopped end work them backwards and forwards a few times to clean up the thread.

The threads are clean when dressed up, no need for nuts.

I agree with your above comment regarding purchasing screws of varying length to cater for all circumstances but sometimes you're caught short and needs must.

The CK side cutters do a perfect cut every time. No need for files or 3.5mm nuts.

The threads are clean when dressed up, no need for nuts.
Err - they are clean because you dress them.

What I'm saying is stick a nut on before you cut and there's no need to bother with a file - just work the nut back and forth a few times.

The CK side cutters do a perfect cut every time. No need for files or 3.5mm nuts.
Oh well - maybe it's me - I'd never dream of cutting a screw without having something on there first which I knew would clean up the end.

Err - they are clean because you dress them.

What I'm saying is stick a nut on before you cut and there's no need to bother with a file - just work the nut back and forth a few times.

I know the threads are clean because I dress them - why would I bother dressing them if there wasn't a reason for it?

I won't be carrying two M3.5mm nuts around. If I don't have a socket screw available of an appropriate length then I'll cut it with pliers and dress the end with a file.

This is my way of doing things, it works and isn't open for debate!

Oh well - maybe it's me - I'd never dream of cutting a screw without having something on there first which I knew would clean up the end.

Contemplate this - You use a junior hacksaw to cut the socket screw (I assume this would be the case?) then run the nuts over the thread. The thread is now clean in that it will enter it's socket without difficulty but what if a sharp end had been left on the screw? Where you cut through 90% then the last 10% snaps off?

I've got a great idea - use a file to dress it.

I know the threads are clean because I dress them - why would I bother dressing them if there wasn't a reason for it?
FFS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back