Cutting electrical screws to size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pack of large screws and wanted to know if I can cut these to size (for different situations) and how I should best do this please.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If they are set screws put a suitable diameter nut on the end above the point you are cutting, this will enable the thread to be recut , otherwise it might not fit in the lug.

I have used aviation tin snips to cut the ends of electrical screws.

Or buy a set of different lengths, they are not unduly expensive, and may be cheaper than buying 3.5mm nuts if you don't have them.

Blup

File off any burrs at the cut, sharp edges might damage insulation that comes into contact with the screw as the face plate is fixed to the back box.

For info, the screws are 3.5mm metric and are generally chromed brass......either way after cutting, file a slight taper so the screw can easily engage with the female.
The screws are soft enough to be filed when held in your hand.
John :)

For clarity this linked tool has a series of holes marked m3, m3.5 etc.
With the handle open to the appropriate position, you screw the screw into the hole to the depth you require then close the handle and it will cut cleanly, then unscrewing will correct the end of the thread if damaged (just like the nut mentioned earlier). I then tickle with a file to make sure theres no sharp spike.

I use a junior hacksaw, then file the burrs off. No need for special tools.

Horses for courses, for £4 its a no brainer for me, better than faffing round with pliers, hacksaws and running nuts down, I was watching some CCTV installers cutting lots of mini trunking with a hacksaw and mitreblock, why make life difficult for the sake of a few quid

Just buy a selection of sizes, for the price of an (overpriced) coffee is it worth the faff?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back