Cutting gas supply to boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first question on the forum, though I have read countless threads and learnt a lot, but I hope someone can help with this question.

Basically I want to cut the gas pipe connecting the gas mains to the boiler so I can remove the boiler. The gas is turned off at the mains and it won't need to be turned on again until a plumber reconnects a new combi boiler in a different location. The water has been cut off to the boiler already and all central heating pipes removed. So I have 2 questions:

1) With the gas turned off at the mains, and no need to turn it back on until a pro connects new boiler, can I simply cut the copper pipe connecting mains to boiler?

2) Can I remove the boiler myself? Or should it be left to a pro? If I remove it can I get any money for it?

Sorry if the questions seem dumb!

Thanks for your help![/i]

Sponsored Links
A gas reg is required to cut and cap the supply. The installer for the new boiler will do this. ( Are you really going to have one? If so then why ask this question?

Once thre gas has been correctly isolated the you can remove the old boiler.

If you can get anything for it depends on the age and model. About £2 when taken to a scrappie if old cast iron perhaps. About £5-£10 if a copper heat exchanger. Hardly worth the bother I would say. But its by far best given to the installer if he would like it.

Tony

Thanks for replies.

So it's a no go for me to remove. I had a suspicion I wouldn't be able to.

Problem is the current boiler is in the way of ongoing renovation works and the new boiler can't be installed until my extension is finished. So it's getting in the way. Are gas reg guys happy to come out just to remove a boiler and not replace it with a new one?

Sponsored Links
they will come round & belly dance for you if you pay them enough. Yes they will remove & make safe

Once the gas has been correctly isolated the you can remove the old boiler.

Tony

As I stated you CAN remove the old boiler.

But only after the gas supply has been correctly isolated by a gas reg.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back