Cutting in awkward places

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut through some plastic piping (the thick terracotta stuff you normally see outside) which is cemented into my bathroom wall. Its the vent for the old extractor fan but my new fan needs to be sunk in about 60mm. I would like to keep the same pipe as the dimensions are just right and besides I already tried to remove it in the past and its stuck fast.

Whats the best way to cut 6cm of the pipe out? Was thinking of buying a dremel just for the job. Do you think that would work?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you trying to describe 100mm underground soil pipe? The brown PVC stuff?

If so, and I presume that have access only to the pipe from within, then I'd expect the Dremel to be able to cut it easily.

Yep, thats the stuff, 100mm soil pipe. Thanks for that. I don't know anyone who has a Dremel so don't really know how powerful they are. Looks like a useful little tool.

get another piece of plastic pipe the same as the one in the wall.
place it squarely against the one built into the wall, and give it a firm tap with a hammer.
being plastic it should free itself and allow you to knock it proud by 60mm.
cut off the 60mm with an old wood saw.
knock it back into position.

Sponsored Links
DarrenSL said:
Yep, thats the stuff, 100mm soil pipe. Thanks for that. I don't know anyone who has a Dremel so don't really know how powerful they are. Looks like a useful little tool.

They are a very useful tool, think small grinder / drill / sander.

I put off buying a Dremel for years, thinking i wouldn't use it much, but since i bought it, its been worth its weight in gold!

I agree. You don't know how useful a Dremel is until you have one. You scratch your head and them think "I'll get the Dremel out". And it just works. Get one.

Well ... I bought the Dremel and am now wondering how the hell I've managed all these years without one! I've had it 2 days and used it on half a dozen different tasks all ready...

Worked a treat on the plastic pipe. Done in 2 mins.
Olive stuck on the compression fitting. No probs, just cut it off with the Dremel. 30secs.
Had some wall plugs which I needed flush. Simply cut 'em off with the Dremel.
Needed to drill a 3mm hole but couldn't get the drill in. Again, easy. Just stuck the drill bit in the Dremel and 60 secs later, job done.

If you haven't got one ... GET ONE! I bought the cordless version which didn't seem a bad price (£70) given that its got a lithium battery.

Only downside is, the accessories are a 'tad' expensive. 5 Heavy duty cutting discs, £15!!!! But then again it was from B&Q!

You know it makes sense.
Incidently, use a chisel to flush off those pesky wall plugs.
I got a Pro 400 piece set of accessories for a tenner from B&Q. Worth it's weight in gold.

All my chisels are blunt. Ahhh, I'll get the dremel to sharpen 'em up! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back