Cutting round duct from the inside

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a duct built into a wall for a bathroom extractor. It is actually a length of UPVC soil pipe, around 100mm i.d.

Modern extractor fans have a slightly larger spigot than the ones it was built for, because they all seem to have a bulge for electrical connections. Therefore they will not fully insert into my duct.

I want to cut out a part of the duct. I can get my hand inside easily. A multicutter will not do the job because I need something that can cut round the diameter, not along. A Dremel might do but is intensely slow. The duct will not pull out and I can't hammer it from the outside because it is 9 metres above the ground.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
eh?

the spindle rotates in a back and forth direction.

How can it cut side to side?

Sponsored Links
thanks, I will give the circular saws a try.

top tip
use a normal drill get a 44mm hole saw and cut a disc from 12mm ply/mdf/wood
this will give you a disc around 39-40mm
chamfer/countersink the centre slightly to rebate the dremil shaft collar in flush double sided sticky tape this to the back off a 44mm blade this gives you a depth stop off around 2-2.5mm
if you need say 3mm cutting depth then oversize the centre hole by 0.5 mm then stick on concentric[off centre]

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back