Cutting in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered I did search but couldn't see anything.

Are there any top tips for cutting in?

I seem to be a bit useless at it - especially on the edge that meets my coving!

I solved the problem with the skirting board edge by masking it off but didn't want to risk masking the coving, unless anyone thinks that would be ok too.

Sponsored Links
Time and practice helps..its one of the hardest things to muster for new painters but heres a few tips.

Whatever hand you use, start from that side that way your arms working in a natural movement away from you into the work you have just done...that should help to keep marks from the end of te bristles to a minimum..youl be able to do a longer stretch and it avouid having your hand in front of your face

If the paints to thick and drags...thin it a little...not to much, just enough for the paint to glide on smoothly

Use a worn brush if you have one and cut in using the side (the flatest longest part) of the brush...it holds more paint and forms its own straight line.

Dont stand to close to the work, you will create a shadow and have your arms and hands bunched up.

Face the wall..dont stand at an angle to it that way, if your using steps, you can rest the paint on them and hace one hand or your forearm on the wall to steady you...plus, if you stand sideways on a pair of steps you'l wobble more

When you stand on the ground, keep you feet apart...it will help steady you.

Theres a tendency to hold your breath when your concerntrating...this also happens when you cut in...try not to..it makes your hands shake more.

Dont overload the brush and once you have dipped dont go straight for the cutting in line...work your way up to it.

Try using both hands...at the moment you probably cant cut in with your left OR your right..so grab the oportunity to use both, its very handy when your cutting in right and left corners etc

Use a paint kettle not the full tin...dont dip your brush right in just a third of the wat...then tap it on the sides of the kettle...theres no need to drag it across the rim

Thats all I can think of..im sure some of the other guys(and gals) on here will have plenty of their own tips for you too

Enjoy!

Lol at "you can't cut in" - yup too true!

Thanks for the advice. I was doing some of the above but only the obvious ones like use a paint kettle!

I think working further from the wall, and not side ways on might help too. Its weird you don't realise what your doing at the time!!!

I reckon I was holding my breath too - Maybe thats why it wasnt very straight - running out of oxygen :LOL:

Will give them all a go not sure about the left hand tho my right was bad enough!!!!

Its the brush mate...id for for a decent pure bristle brush...three inch

When the site said synthetic bristle for water based paints it meant undercoats gloss'es and satins...water based ones

Doing one wall at a time is ok...you may need to thin the paint out a little more if the plaster is very absorbent

Sponsored Links
ok ill go for a 3" pure........I though I replied under this post? but ive been moved down to another post? nice rollers though them ici short pile ones....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back