Cutting large amounts of chicken wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a big roll of 13mm spaced wire netting I use for various things, and so far my best tool for cutting it are some toughened scissors. Works fine but very slow as you have to do each wire individually.

For large lengths is there a better tool that will let me slice it quickly?

Sponsored Links
Metal shears, maybe even cordless ones if you have the budget and the use for them?

Last edited:
Tin snips are cheap enough, but something like long Gilbow shears are better, as FoxHole says. Oh, and a pair of heavy leather gloves!

Sponsored Links
If you can stretch it Over scrap timber an angle grinder can cut it quickly .
I did wonder if I could use any sort of power tool, even a jigsaw with a metal blade?

But otherwise tin snips look the right tool, at least I couldn't see metal shears at Screwfix and the spring loaded design should make it far quicker than scissors

Not a jigsaw, it will snatch. Tin snips best, angle grinder with a slitting disc if you're careful to keep the wire tight and held.
John :)

I did wonder if I could use any sort of power tool, even a jigsaw with a metal blade?
The jigsaw is NOT a good idea!

On the odd occasions when I need to install fire stopping (basically a layer of mineral wool batting with a layer of "chicken wire" stuck on one surface plus a white coating layer of intumescent material over the top of that) tin snips are the one tool I have in my general tool kit which can cut the chicken wire with ease.

Thanks all... I shall order some.

I see there are a few types, different angles... What's the difference?

I just use the straight ones. The left and right ones are for cutting left and right curves in metal where you want the waste to go away from your hand. Try using them the wrong way round (e.g left handed to do right hand cuts) and the waste tends to end up curling over into your hand. Ouch! Stsigjt ones cat cut very gentle curves with care. Not that any of this is relevant to your needs

Bigger scissors

So I also have "a big roll of 13mm spaced wire netting" and when I have cut it previously I have used side cutters or combination pliers, both of which worked but I also had to do it one strand at a time.

I needed to use some more today and prompted by this thread I dug out an old pair of wallpaper scissors and they were excellent, cutting three or four strands at a time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back