Cutting Porcelain tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I need to cut cut straight lines and curves in a procelain tile to fit round a pipe. I dont have an angle grinder and I dont think it would be accurate enough to cut the curve. I have tryed using a carbide jigsaw bit but it only cut 2 inches before it gave up. would a diamond jigsaw blade do the trick? if so where is the best place to get one because I cant find any anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Hello

I need to cut cut straight lines and curves in a procelain tile to fit round a pipe. I dont have an angle grinder and I dont think it would be accurate enough to cut the curve. I have tryed using a carbide jigsaw bit but it only cut 2 inches before it gave up. would a diamond jigsaw blade do the trick? if so where is the best place to get one because I cant find any anywhere.

if you are competent enough, an angle grinder will be accurate enough to cut the shape you require, do you not have a wet cutter ? if so then use this. Do you mean you only have 1 tile you need cut ? as you say " lines and curves in a porcelain tile"
If you have quite a few tiles to cut, why not hire a wet cutter, or if it is only 1 tile, find a tile fixer near you and ask if he would cut it, probs only charge you a fiver or so

4 tiles need cutting. so not realy enough to get a wet cutter or angle grinder, certainly not on my budget! :)

is the diamond jigsaw blade not an option then?

Can wet cutters cut round curves? dosent look like they could?

4 tiles need cutting. so not realy enough to get a wet cutter or angle grinder, certainly not on my budget! :)

is the diamond jigsaw blade not an option then?

Can wet cutters cut round curves? dosent look like they could?

Diamond jigsaw blades (decent ones for the job ) would cost more than a budget priced 4" angle grinder and diamond disc mate, cheap saw blades would take forever an you would need an unlimited amount ;)

Wet cutters cannot cut around curves, what you would do is actually mark your curve on the tile then use the wet cutter to cut fingers down to your mark, then snap them with a pair of nippers,

the grinder is your cheapest and easiest option, better still, buy a diamond diosc and borrow a grinder, you will get a cheap disc for about a tenner, that would cut 4 tiles for you no problem ;)

Sponsored Links
It all seems so obvious now! :)

Thanks so much for your help. your have been more than helpfull

one last question though. how do i snap the fingers off without it going over the line? I cant see that the nippers would not reach untill the fingers are broken off

It all seems so obvious now! :)

Thanks so much for your help. your have been more than helpfull

one last question though. how do i snap the fingers off without it going over the line? I cant see that the nippers would not reach untill the fingers are broken off

you use the nippers to snap away the fingers, to be on the safe side seeing as you havent done this before there are 2 ways

1, use a scribe to scribe around your curved line, if the nippers take too much off, the fingers should not snap beyond the scribed line

2, cut your fingers maybe 6-8 mm apart, but only cut down to within 5 mm of your scribed or felt tipped pen marked curve, snap the fingers away then you will be left with a solid bit of tile approx 5mm inside the curved mark, use the nibblers to nibble away until you reach your line, just nibble slowly away with small pieces.

Sorry but if i knew how to draw diagrams and put them on here i would have, just to help explain better.

no no, thats more than adequate.

sorry if its been a bit of a chore but I like to be 100% sure I am doing things right. Just paranoid I am going to waste all my tiles. but i feel alot more confident about the job now. thanks

Sorry but if i knew how to draw diagrams and put them on here i would have, just to help explain better.

:LOL: :LOL: ..thats cos your carp on a computer jc..(an am even worse)... :LOL: :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back