power tool to cut tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a jigsaw type tool to cut tiles with?
I have a hand saw with carbide blade but it was a f-ing pain in the ass cutting tiles to fit round obstacles.
If it's cheap enough then it gives me an excuse to buy another power tool. :eek:

Sponsored Links
You can get jigsaw blades coated in carbide grit that will cut ceramic tile.

You can also use a Rota-zip or Dremel with tile cutting attachment on ceramic tile.

Note I have said ceramic tile neither will do a lot to porcelain tiles

Jason

You can hire a tile saw, for a ££ well worth it. So easy.

Jasonb said:
You can get jigsaw blades coated in carbide grit that will cut ceramic tile.

You can also use a Rota-zip or Dremel with tile cutting attachment on ceramic tile.

Note I have said ceramic tile neither will do a lot to porcelain tiles

Jason

I assume you meant wall tiles here or could these door floor as well ?

Sponsored Links
The floor tiles will probably be a little thicker but it should be ok to cut as long as they ain't porcelain (as Jason mentioned).

So, do I get a blade for my existing jigsaw...or do I splash out on a grinder and wheel.
Will the cutting be any different for what I need it for, bearing in mind my other post...

It depends how much tiling you'll be doing as to whether it warrants buying a grinder and diamond wheel. A jigsaw blade will probably cost about £6 (you may get a couple for that price, I don't know). What I will say is that you're more likely to break the tile with a jigsaw and it'll take a heck of a lot longer to do.

Got a sintered diamond saw blade for the dry cutting of masonry materials. Will that work? I thought read somewhere it should be a continuous blade for ceramics?

How do you cut curves with a grinder BTW ? I'm thinking doing this on the face side may chip away some of the covering?

DrGonzo said:
I thought read somewhere it should be a continuous blade for ceramics?
It should.
DrGonzo said:
How do you cut curves with a grinder BTW?
Take a wild guess.
DrGonzo said:
I'm thinking doing this on the face side may chip away some of the covering?
Why don't you try it and see?
I'm not trying to be funny, but, you've bought the blade, why ask about it when you've already bought it? Why ask about lining up the tiles when you've laid them? Why? Why? Why? DocGonz, STOP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel better now. :)

1 more ;)

I've tightened up the blade to the grinder but there still seems to be a bit of sideways movement of the blade 1-2mm. Is that right or should it be totally solid?

It's a M14 spindle with 22.2mm blade diameter.

Now I know you're taking the rise.
You sometimes get blades that have a brass bush that reduces the hole to 22mm - sounds like it's fallen out, in which case you can't use it.
If that's not the case and you mean the blade wobbles, then you might have the clamp screw on the wrong way round.
Now I'm off to bed so if there's any more questions then they'll have to wait. You ask enough questions to be a woman?! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back