Cutting stainless steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys any tips .. Need to cut down stainless steel cooker hood duct ... its about 2mm in diameter and very flexible any metal cutting gurus out there . Thanx :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
britski said:
Guys any tips .. Need to cut down stainless steel cooker hood duct ... its about 2mm in diameter and very flexible any metal cutting gurus out there . Thanx :rolleyes:

bit small ain't it

angle grinder :idea:

Hi,

I am going to have to do this to my Bosch hood ducting (I can't put it off any longer). The ducting is rectangular (well, three sides of a rectangle) sheet s/s. As there will be a 17mm board bridging the gap between the wall cupboards I shall hide the cut in the thickness of the board, so it will not have to be uber-mm perfect.

I intend to clamp two pieces of wood over and under the cutline, on the good side of the cut, so that any tool slippage will not damage the finish. I will then try to cut the duct sides with a fine-tooth hacksaw, I have 30 tpi. I will then try to clamp and cut the centre section, but this will be a little more difficult to get the clamps in.

Well, that's the plan. That reminds me, I must check whether we have enough plasters.

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
Trust me, if you have or can borrow an angle grinder, it will be far better finish and 20 times quicker.

Where's me googles ...... Thanks for all the replies ....Doctor on standby :LOL:

Make sure you get an ultra thin cutting disc, they are about 1mm thick.
Will make a far nicer job than a standard cutting disc (about 3mm thick)

Hitachimad said:
Make sure you get an ultra thin cutting disc, they are about 1mm thick.
)

just out of curiosity Hitachimad, don't the thin discs 'flex' quite a lot or are they pretty rigid? 1mm seems a little flimsy to me.

You can get even thinner ones.

The 1mm ones dont really flex if you use them properly. If you try to grind with one they do flex. But you shouldnt be grinding with them.

You can even get ultra thin 9" discs, they wobble a little on starting a cut in the midlle of a piece. Start on a corner they are okay.

Use them as they should be and you wont have any problems with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back