cutting the top of a tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wanting to cut the top 10ft off a 40ft tree (which is obstructing a very nice view). Would a straight cut with a saw be ok? Dont want to kill the tree as it sits 12ft from my house, susbsistance is something I could do without. I have vague memories of parents cutting trees, then putting some black susbstance on the ends?

Sponsored Links
What tree is it? If it is an evergreen best to leave till spring. If its deciduous (loses its leaves in winter) then do it in December. You dont need to put anything on it. They - scientists? - used to think it protects from disease, but they have now decided it does'nt, so no need to bother.

It's an advantage to make the cut at a slant - if it's horizontal water lies on it so it rots quicker.

leave the wound open. covering it can seal in germs and spores. 40 feet up a tree is a long way to fall. be carful or get someone in, its a lot cheaper than a life as a cripple

Sponsored Links
Can I ask- are you intending to cut the whole 10 foot at one go, or bit at a time? Consider the weight of the top which will violently shake the tree- so if you're still up there ****.
The direction to drop the top can be set fairly well- there's a method if you want it.--(I am no expert though)

And the word you are looking for is "subsidence" not subsistence.

Good luck. Don't fall off or let it fall on anything prone to damage (like next door's dog or your mother-in-law

Thanks for the replies, and the spelling corrections - I did spot that one but was too lazy to go in and edit it, You all knew what I meant anyway.

I don't have a neighbour for the tree top to fall on, its in a wood next to my house. Its an ash tree, so will attack it in the coming month. Was going to cut it off in one go, is in pieces better?

Me falling could also be an issue, I have at my disposal a 30ft ladder and a selection of hand saws, receipe for disaster?

Garden tree loppers using chain saws, will cut off branches and then the trunk in pieces- as far as I can see anyway. Think that is the safe way.

But if you debranch a bit, keeping the balance of the tree and tie a long rope a fair bit above where the cut will be in order to break off the top after a delicate part cut and keeping it safe (when there's no wind and you can get down quick!).
You would have to gauge the cut well. This should be a front (direction of fall) v cut with the bottom horizontal- maybe less than half way- then a single back cut very slightly above the v. A wedge is used sometimes in the v front cut before back is cut. Keep it safe, get down and pull.
The idea of the wedge cut is so not to trap the blade/chain.

Well I'm daft enough to try that- I love to experiment :rolleyes:
PS they used to rub soil on the bare end of plant cuts.

Don't try to use a normal woodworking saw - it will clog up and bind really quickly. Get yourself a pruning saw like this or a bow saw like this

lets look t this logically. Its a 40ft tree. You have a 30 ft ladder. that means that you have to cut it in one go. Youll be placing a ladder against a tree that you dont know the strength of. Youre not sure of the best tool to cut it with and how. A 10 foot section of tree is heavy and if you guage the cut and direction wrong it will take you with it when it falls.

Can i offer a bit of friendly advice and say get someone in to do it. I dont bother doing jobs like that anymore because its too risky and i sub them out to a tree surgeon. It wont cost tht much. Please dont even contemplate a chainsaw either.

I did'nt read your message very carefully did I? No of course you should'nt do this yourself, its madness. You also have to consider the fact its not on your property. You might be able to get the owners to reduce the height for you if you write to them. Get a tree surgeon in for proper advice. :oops:

Thanks fo all the advice!!

Probably is a bit dangerous. I could always cut the tree from ground level. Theres about 2 square miles of woodland, 1 tree isnt going to be missed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back