cutting thick granit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not strickly tiling but looks the best place to post ,, im laying a new pattio around 40 / 50 sq mts ive seen some 600x 300 granit slabs they are approx 30mm thick,,, what i would like to know is how difficult these would be to cut,i have a tile saw but expect that this would not be up to the job,,, i also have a 9 inch angle grinder,, which might be my best bet? any sugestions ?

Sponsored Links
Definitely the angle grinder, but a petrol Stihl saw with a water cooled diamond disc blade would be even better!
John :)

my reason for asking is when i looked at these slabs i asked could i have a sample which was put on a machine which had at 4 foot diameter blade and it was slow to cut,,,, im thinking i may need to cut about 30 or more of these,,, slabs will a decent blade cut 30 plus ?

Sponsored Links
You could try cutting your sample with the grinder and see how easy it is. Guess your blade might wear out if it's not water cooled.

Are these 600x300 not square? Will they all need cutting?

There's an excellent web site run by McCormack & Son - http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm - everything you need to know about laying paving.

Try looking there & they have a forum you can ask questions on.

The harder the substance is, the better the diamond disc cutter performs.
if you were to hire a machine, petrol or otherwise, you'd only pay for the discs you had used - which can be worthwhile.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back