Cutting tile in situ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI. Replacing electrical socket plates in kitchen. Problem with one of those on tiled wall. One of the tiles comes down over the back box i.e. wasn't cut to the back box hole. The existing plate is ok, but the new one won't fit in the space. The tile needs to be cut back. Ceramic tile, quite thick (original socket plate is currently back on so can't go and quickly measure). What's the best way - if any :) - of cutting the tile back and not cracking/damaging it. Not feasible to get a tile snapper round it (at least not the one I have). Really not sure how to go about this: have no idea where I would source replacement tile if I messed it up.

Sponsored Links
apparently those exact saws are pretty good for this sort of thing?
or a dremel might work?.

Bosch Multitool (PMF 180E) or similar, with a tile cutting blade.

Just go careful - and SWITCH THE POWER TO THE SOCKET OFF FIRST!

Could also use a small angle grinder but that would need a very steady hand.

Sponsored Links
The 180e or a tile file, or roto zip with tile bit, small grinding bit in a drill and care.

thanks for everyones inputs. Don't have a 180e, looks like I need to consider getting one. Small grinding bit in a drill: looks like this is thought to be somewhat more prone to disaster.

I previously had a short attempt with a tile file but decided that it was probably not a starter.

In the end I went to hire shop and hired a grinder with a diamond blade in it. Worked a treat. Cost me £28 in hire fees but given I didn't have an appropriate tool in the first place it was money well spent.

Thanks for your help and input (all).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back