Cylinder Bypassed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a cylinder in an airing cupboard that was bypassed and removed a few years ago when I had a combi fitted. There are 2 x 22mm pipes which are now joined together- i assume flow and return from boiler. But there is also a 15 mm pipe that is tee'd into the 22mm pipe - the 15 mm has a flamco vent on it. Does anyone know what the 15mm pipe is likely to be?

Sponsored Links
There are 2 x 22mm pipes that come up into the airing cupboard and a 15mm. You see the two 22mm pipes are linked together, and the 15mm pipe tees into it half way along and then has the air release valve.
IMG-20210315-WA0007.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just surprised me that there are 3 pipes linked together, rather just the flow from the boiler being linked to the flow of the central heating...... confused

Have you traced the 15mm pipe?

Also I'm not keen on where the wiring centre is installed, I'd have moved it onto the wall rather than leave it close to pipes with plenty of joints that could leak.

Though I assume as it's been converted to combi the wiring centre has no wires in it?

Also when removing the tank can't see what the installer do something better with the 15mm pipe rather than leave it also bang in the middle of the cupboard, cos that's not annoying at all

Possibly the flow from the boiler, linked to the flow to the Central Heating. If previous system was Y or S plan, then the cylinder and valves have been removed, and I will have to assume the return pipework is hidden under the floor. 15mm pipe could be a bypass.

I'm moving the pipework lower down now because the cupboards being removed. I'm just gonna join it up the same way as it is now, but at ground level. It just left me scratching my head about. The immersion wiring is still in there and is still live, so that's getting removed too.

Possibly the flow from the boiler, linked to the flow to the Central Heating. If previous system was Y or S plan, then the cylinder and valves have been removed, and I will have to assume the return pipework is hidden under the floor. 15mm pipe could be a bypass.

There are 3 x 22mm pipes and 2 x 15mm pipes that enter the cupboard from under the floor. One if the 15mm pipes goes into the loft and is dead. There is a 22mm pipe that is capped off. Then the other 2 x 22mm pipes and 15mm pipe all come in together - so I've assumed they are flow and return from boiler, and the 15mm is the flow for the central heating. But whatever they are, the plumber has joined all 3 together.

15mm to loft was probably the cold mains supply to the storage cisterns, this really needs capping where it tees off now to remove any remaining dead leg. 22mm pipe capped off, suspect that was the hot water supply from the cylinder to taps, the new Combi has probably been hooked into the hot pipework at the nearest convenient point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back