1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

DAB in the car..............what a waste of money!!

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by DIYedboy, 4 Oct 2018.

1. DIYedboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi gang, just bought a new DAB radio n CD and glass mount EXTERNAL ariel from DAB online. The unit is fine, the ariel looks a well made quality thing...........but Jeez, the radio drops out all the time on my to work (west London)............I'm thinking of getting an FM ariel because my old FM setup was 10 times better!!!!............is that how all DB's are?

2. rsgaz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not what I've experienced. It works flawlessly 99% of the time. Occasional drop-outs when in the middle of nowhere and occasional drop-out when in a steep valley.

I don't trust those external aerials that transmit through the glass, never heard anything good about them. Have you thought about replacing with a combined DAB and FM proper aerial base and whip...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/6971585560026

Universal like that one, or even buy a proper one for your brand of vehicle (the cost might make you wince though for a genuine part!!).

Last edited: 5 Oct 2018
  3. DIYedboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The ariel had a great tested review from the site (DABonwheels) but my experience is the opposite (as a qualified electrician and engineer I'm positive I followed the instructions correctly). I'm open to buying a new ariel, but don't want to replicate the mistake!..................my car is a 2002 peugeot 406 (old, cheap n reliable)

4. Stivino

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've had two cars with DAB radios fitted as standard. One car had a shark fin aerial the other was built into the rear screen, the reception from both was good.
    Both these cars were available without DAB and the aerials were identical in appearance. My theory is that it's not the aerial in itself, rather that the aerial has a piece of wizardry (a filter if you like) which makes it more suitable for certain frequencies. Remember when digital TV came around and we were told we would nee a new "digital aerial" which we didn't need.

5. Motman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Never had any problems with the DAB in our Evoque. A mate of mine has bought a brand new transit, had two radios and a new aerial and can’t hear sod all.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2018
  6. gman76

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I used to have a Pug 206, I mounted a cheap Halfords mag mount DAB aerial to the inside boot frame so the whip was across the rear window - results from this were acceptable.

This wasn't possible in my next car, so I bought a self adhesive job from DAB on wheels - it was absolutely hopeless.

Current car has factory DAB radio - soooo much better.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mattylad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ISTR the outer on the aerial coax feed really ought to be grounded to the car body so that it uses the body as a groundplane. This is at the aerial mount itself.
    Not sure if DAB ones allow this.

8. JMikeEvic

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My old factory DAB was pretty good , this new one I have it's the Eightwood one RG174 3M with the 9.8 feet Antenna, it's pretty good but doesn't compare with factory..