Dad put a nail through the water pipe - no leak!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many moons ago my dad & I refurbished a small terraced house. It wasn't until some time after lifting some floor boards, that an adjacent nailed floor board could be seen to be cleverly pined to a central heating 15mm copper pipe! It was an old fashioned floor board nail- wedge shaped. It had gone straight through and not leaked.

The moto being - put pipes though the middle of joists and not just under floor boards.. :)

Sponsored Links
Many years ago I rewired my in laws house. Putting the last few boards down I had one with 3 holes across one end and 1 screw left. :confused:

Tried screwing it in but it wouldn't go so gave it a gentle tap with the hammer and then screwed it down tight. Sitting there with a can of booze and a fag when he says,
"Can you smell gas?"
"Eh, yes."
On hands and knees, still with fag in my mouth, we go sniffing.
I'd only gone and screwed the last board down through a 22mm gas pipe feeding the central heating!
Put my fag out quick and lifted the board to find a nice neat hole through the pipe. Knocks the gas off and he gets a galvanised clout nail, blowtorch and multi-core solder. Trimmed the nail down to about 1/4" long pops it in the hole and solders it in place. To my knowledge it is still there to this day!

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's what an independent plumber told us about our new build, the amount of cases he has had a few years after the initial warranty runs out on new builds is scary!

Also the fact that new builds don't have floor boards which can be easily lift to check, they are glued chip board which is a nightmare, worst case he had was to find the source of a leak, and after cutting over 15 holes he found the leak on the opposite side of the house on another floor!

say to the plumber shh listen call him across when he switches the water on in the new house for the first time me kneelin down and between ma teeth just a slight hissing noise ****s himsell every time lol
had a few knocks on the head cause of it lol

another one is when the sparky is wirin up the mains board creep up behind him an go BANG!!!

AGAIN HARD HATS BECOME USFULL

Yeah that'll be really funny when you make him jump and he touches a live part and dies as a result of your immaturity.

You'd need more than a hard hat if you did it to me :rolleyes:

your too serious

was just making light l have never done that but it is funny lol

a sparky actually did that to me when l was wiring l plug up an l shat masell even though it wasnae plugged in lol

why do folk take things so littoral these days the funs all gone out o the job

another on we did on building sites was to drop a bit o plumbers felt oot the windas an shout oya just afore it landed on there heads when they look up **** there sell
too many folk like you wi no sense o humour

click the picture here for some true glasga humour
an l await the backlash of your health an saftey statments to come lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back