Daft radiator question.

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got myself a set of huge ex-demo radiators at 75% off (!) from Q&B. Even better they are basically just doubles of what I already have so I don't need to move the pipework to fit them.

The old (very old) rads in the house all had new TRVs and lockshields fitted a couple of years back by the previous owner so I don't want to replace those. However, I do want to replace the parts that screw into the radiator and to which the TRVs and lockshields are then attached.

The thing is, I don't know what they are called. I have heard them referred to as 'tails' but a quick search of screfix and Q&B did not bring up any products that look like what I need.

Is there another name for them? Where can I buy some?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
Could do but they are a bit manky and chewed up. I figured nice clean new ones might be easier to work with.

Also, they are 30 years old so I'm not even sure they'd fit?

iep

Sponsored Links
i'm confused, you say the valves were changed a couple of years ago then later say the tails are 30 yrs old, are you sure the tails are old? even if they are i think you will struggle to get tails only, 99% of tails are 1/2"BSP into rad so will fit your new rads, you might need a 1/2" Allan key to remove the tail if there isnt a flat hex on it for a spanner, why dont you refit old tails and paint them, easier than sourcing new tails that fit your existing valves, either that or get a nice set of Danfoss TRV/lockshield valves that match each other, lockshield has a flat chrome blank cap on top, with allan screw under it to adjust lockshield

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back