Daft router question. Dewalt DW624

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought this router for fitting worktops and am having trouble with the depth setting.

Whenever I set the depth guide and then rout to this setting the tighteneing screw on the guide does not seem to hold its position and is easily moved as I plunge to the workpiece. I cant seem to get the locking screw tight enough.

I think I am probably using it wrongly.

Basically is this just a guide and should I use the plunge lock whilst routing at all times? Or should the depth guide be tight enough to work off?

Hope this is clear! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Plunge to the depth required either freehand or down to the preset stop then use the lever to lock the body in position.

You don't need to set a stop for the joints just come down in approx 5mm speps but use the stop for the bolt holes, again do these in 2-3 steps.

Jason

Brilliant thanks mate. Although I think the stopper is a bit dodgy as it has no grip at all on the depth guide. Will have to spek to dewalt I spose.

Cheers!

I have a similar if not worse problem with an Erbauer router I recently bought - when cutting the masons joints in worktops the depth stop basically doesn't stop the router from plunging further during my cut! I've tightened the screw handle as much as i can and can't move it when the router is stationery but as soon as i start cutting it just starts getting lower! To make it worse the plunge lock doesn't hold the router in position at all, i can have it fully engaged and the router will still spring up easily if i release downwards pressure....is there something on it i need to fix or do you get what you pay for??!
Cheers
Pete

Sponsored Links
I have a Titan router - only a cheapy bought from Screwfix but it did my worktop joint nicely. I found the same thing with the depth gauge - but a quick tighten with a set of pliers sorted me out.

Remember not to put your whole weight on the router (I.e leaning over the machine pushing down). The router should be in front of you and use the strength in your forearms to push the router downward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back