Daily Mail says "NHS faces a 'shortage of 350,000 staff and spiralling waiting times by 2030'"

Not at all. The key words of mine were provide more incentive to doctors and nurses, from anywhere, to come and work.

People don't want to come here and work, because of this and this, and other similar reasons. There are nicer places to go and work now.

So why did you ramble on about closing borders and will of the people? After UK nationals the second largest nationality within the NHS staff is Indian.

Now I'm not sure if you're aware but we don't have an open border with India.

Sponsored Links
There's a more hostile environment following Brexit. I've experienced it, I've seen the impact of it. It is well documented.
People are less keen to come here to work, and that is a problem which needs to be solved if we are to save the NHS.

Don't forget....

farage.jpg

That Leave poster did not show people from the EU.... but there you go, it helped convince some people to vote leave and sent a clear message.

Now I'm not sure if you're aware but we don't have an open border with India.
Not Yet...

But I wonder what strings those wonderful new world trade deals will have attached to them ;)

Could this become a precedent as to our needs for recruitment?

There's a more hostile environment following Brexit. I've experienced it, I've seen the impact of it. It is well documented.
People are less keen to come here to work, and that is a problem which needs to be solved if we are to save the NHS.

Don't forget....

View attachment 152305

That Leave poster did not show people from the EU.... but there you go, it helped convince some people to vote leave and sent a clear message.

Christ, look at that stream of doctors we've potentially turned away.

Yeah, EU immigration as fallen but EU nationals make up 5% of the NHS workforce. Hardly a blackhole being formed is it.

Sponsored Links
Staff shortages are here now. Operations are cancelled because if it. It's not a conspiracy!
If you don't know doctors and nurses who can tell you first hand how bad things are getting, then this website will help get you up to speed.
I mention immigration because that is the only short term solution - it takes a decade to train nurses and doctors, but we need them now. So, we need to import them. But, we have sent the message to the world that they are not welcome. When they do arrive, we use them as scapegoats when things fail in a poorly funded system.

"Shortages of staff are widespread within the NHS and exist across all disciplines. The NHS is on the brink with too few nurses, midwives, GPs, hospital doctors and mental health workers. Staff are leaving the service due to low job satisfaction whilst recruitment and retention continues to be a growing problem."
  • Overall shortage of nearly 100,000 staff.
  • Over 35,000 full-time nursing posts vacant.
  • 15.3% of GP positions are currently empty.
  • 1 in 22 doctor or dentist jobs are going unfilled for more than 6 months in Scotland."
"28% of EU nurses have quit since the result of the Brexit referendum and overseas applications have halved"
"Cuts to nursing bursaries has also led to 33% drop in university applicants."

https://nhsfunding.info/symptoms/10-effects-of-underfunding/staff-shortages/

The question was about how to save the NHS. The solution seems pretty simple considering the data that has been gathered - invest more and encourage overseas workers (from anywhere).

And as for the idea of propping it up with private care - the private system is nowhere big enough to help at the moment. Unless the government grows some balls and fixes the problem, it is all of us that will suffer.

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. I'm trying to get at you concentrating on the EU when people from the EU make up 1 in 20 staff. People are still coming, just not from the EU.

Not at the rate we need, were not training people at the rate we need but as I've said, this is not a Brexit problem, it's an NHS problem. The government doesn't help with funding either.

Better recruitment strategy
So how will that work exactly?

Falling numbers of 'indigenous' trainees and restrictions on trained immigrants doesn't appear to be working does it!

And the Brexit unicorns won't be able change that whilst satisfying the quitters...

Unless you know differently?

Shortage of workers in the NHS?

I wonder what might have encouraged people to look elsewhere for employment?

"Conservative MPs cheered as the tally of a key vote was read out in Parliament, showing they had defeated Labour's attempt to force the Government to lift the pay cap on public sector wages.

Theresa May's party joined forces with the DUP on Tuesday to vote down the opposition amendment to the Queen's Speech that aimed to give state employees a pay rise above the 1 per cent rate at which their salaries have been capped since 2010."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn-dup-a7813661.html

Eventually, the Tory government was forced to loosen its grip.

Not at the rate we need, were not training people at the rate we need but as I've said, this is not a Brexit problem, it's an NHS problem. The government doesn't help with funding either.

We agree there. Although I think it's unfair to say it's an NHS problem - the problem has been brought on by government policy - it's government run so a government problem.

Remember Jeremy C Hunt's long battle with hospital doctors, to force them into worse conditions by making them work unsocial hours without an unsocial hours payment?

It's almost as if a politician in favour of privatising the NHS had been put in charge of the NHS to make it so bad that the citizens would think things would be better if it was privatised.

Did I say "almost?"

"Conservative MPs cheered as the tally of a key vote was read out in Parliament, showing they had defeated Labour's attempt to force the Government to lift the pay cap on public sector wages.

Theresa May's party joined forces with the DUP on Tuesday to vote down the opposition amendment to the Queen's Speech that aimed to give state employees a pay rise above the 1 per cent rate at which their salaries have been capped since 2010."
https://www.newstatesman.com/2018/03/mps-have-had-yet-another-pay-rise-77000-fair-salary-politician

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7475498/high-court-judges-pay-rise-england-wales/

Still, people keep voting for the Tories in national and local elections, so this must be what they want.

Sponsored Links
Back