Daily Mail says "NHS faces a 'shortage of 350,000 staff and spiralling waiting times by 2030'"

Think of it like my rotten floors. The floors are rotten, and will only get worse.

Tory approach. Do nothing while house collapses. Blame everybody else while sitting in a country estate and counting their money.
Labour approach. Tax the rich a bit more so we can throw money at the problem and replace the floor.

It really is that simple.

Well, OK, it's not. But hey ho. Politics.

Sponsored Links
when the house collapses, the government can sell it at a rock-bottom price to some rich developer chums. Who will fling something up and rent it to us for more than we were paying before, when we owned it.

Until the day comes when those rich developers, and the government, are found swinging from lamp posts.

Sponsored Links
Trust me - it is not what I expect or hope for.

But I fear, given the lessons of history, that it is a credible possibility.

I was staggered to learn that 17% of NHS spend goes on treating type 2 diabetes. I wonder how much of that is avoidable if people took responsibility for their fat ar*es, went on a diet and did some exercise.

I was staggered to learn that 17% of NHS spend goes on treating type 2 diabetes. I wonder how much of that is avoidable if people took responsibility for their fat ar*es, went on a diet and did some exercise.

Careful. "Fattist" may be a hate crime.

Why do people eat too much? Advertising.
Food industry makes people rich so government very reluctant to regulate it properly.

It's easy to blame the millions of overweight people, but they are overweight for the same reason that so many people smoke or wear Nike.

Fat means profit.

Why do people eat too much? Advertising.
Food industry makes people rich so government very reluctant to regulate it properly.

It's easy to blame the millions of overweight people, but they are overweight for the same reason that so many people smoke or wear Nike.

Fat means profit.

The crap that goes in processed food probably has a lot to do with it.

And a change to a more sedentary society.

no doubt lobbyists from the food industry have some influence. remember Ribena saying it didnt damage teeth.....

Think of it like my rotten floors. The floors are rotten, and will only get worse.

Tory approach. Do nothing while house collapses. Blame everybody else while sitting in a country estate and counting their money.
Labour approach. Tax the rich a bit more so we can throw money at the problem and replace the floor.

It really is that simple.

Well, OK, it's not. But hey ho. Politics.
Labour.tax the rich..employ a nation of people to mend the floors.bankrupt the country.simples.

Labour.tax the rich..employ a nation of people to mend the floors.bankrupt the country.simples.
Funny then how the tories have borrowed more money since they came to power in 2010 than all governments put together prior to then...

And the tories have been responsible for the biggest rise in UK debt in history...

But please don't let the facts get in the way of your warped political ideological rant (y)

Do you think we will or would have borrowed more or less under a labour government?

Funny then how the tories have borrowed more money since they came to power in 2010 than all governments put together prior to then...

True, but meaningless.

Put it into context and the picture is different

Borrowing peaked at about 10% of the size of the economy (GDP) in 2009/10, and it’s now down to about 3.5%. That’s a relatively large deficit, but not off the scale historically.

The Labour governments of Harold Wilson and James Callaghan ran deficits of around 5% of GDP back in the 1970s, for example. The post-war Labour government in 1945 borrowed 15% of GDP in its first year

Borrowing has been historically high in recent years following the financial crisis in the late noughties, when Labour was still in office. Borrowing rosefrom £40 billion in 2007/08 to a peak of £155 billion in 2009/10.

A new government can’t wipe out that level of borrowing overnight, nor would it necessarily want to. You can argue the deficit should or could have come down quicker anyway, but simple arithmetic like this clearly doesn’t give you the whole story.

Secondly, the economy is much bigger now than it used to be. Once you look at all these figures compared to the size of the UK economy, the picture is different.

Sponsored Links
Back