Daisy chaining 16A power points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to add some sockets to my lounge. At present, there are two sockets daisy chained off the distribution point near the ceiling.

Three 2,5mm wires drop down to the first socket and continue horizontally to the second socket 4m away.

I want to put to double sockets at each point and would like to know if there is any limitation on the number of sockets which can be daisy chained in this way. Should I daisy chain along the wall one-by-one? Or tap off each of the two existing points?

Or do I need to drop three more cables from the distribution point to the furthest dual socket to avoid a large current passing though the first socket?

The points will have light use- two for reading lamps, one for laptop/ HiFi and the fourth one general use, mostly vacuum cleaning..

If 4 sockets is OK, how about 2x 3 sockets? You can never have enough...!!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I have no idea about Spanish rules but in general the limit is the volt drop and loop impedance in the cable so without meter readings no one can say if in your house it could be done.

In general having a 16A RCD protected outlet from a consumer unit with 2.5 mm sq cable will allow around 25 meters of cable and from this you can have as many sockets as you like but clearly the total plugged in can't exceed 16A.

In the UK we use a completely different system but most of the world use the radial system and common is one radial per room.

Where the volt drop is already a problem the 25 meters may need to be reduced but in real terms much depends on what is being used.

A lap top computer for example will often work OK even when the volt drop has reduced to voltage to 100 volts. A florescent lamp unless electronic will likely stop working at 210 volts. Radios without switch mode power supplies can start to have mains hum with low voltage. Modern TV's with switch mode power supplies do not have the same problem. Air conditioning units can burn themselves out if volt drop is too high.

Clearly in theroy all sockets should be able to deliver 16A without a volt drop problem but in practice away from special UK system this is often not the case.

many thanks!

If the total length of cable is the only issue, then I think there is no problem.

We can assume that the actual installation is correct regards distance and voltage drop and effectively I am only inserting one socket between the first and second, perhaps 2-3cm increase in distance, and adding one to the end.

Have 2,5mm HFC cable for this.

I asked as I have seen individual cables to each socket in a kitchen, a true radial from the nearest distribution point, but I guess the issue there is appliances that have heating elements.

Sponsored Links
Back