Damaged a meter neutral feed cable to CU

Safe zones are all very well, but you ask a tradesman who is not an electrician where he thinks a safe place to drill is, more often than not he won't have a clue.

I think the same applies to most house owners that posses a drill!

Sponsored Links
Safe zones are all very well, but you ask a tradesman who is not an electrician where he thinks a safe place to drill is, more often than not he won't have a clue.

I think the same applies to most house owners that posses a drill!

Exactly.

I mean that's just the sort of place someone could fix a pipe, or some sort of moulding, or whatever. Who knows?

I realise it's a safe zone, but given the nature of this job I thought the electrician may have done you a favour and just put a bit of capping at the top, to make the best of a bad job, so to speak.

Ok the $64000000 question is how to resolve this problem and where would the route be to comply with new regs?

The cavity is out as it's apparently not allowed, so what alternative route is there? That thermal block is like butter and now it has a 35mm channel in it there's not much left of it!

What about a piece of split con out of the bottom of the meter cabinet, along the wall where the brick courses change colour, to the corner and then straight up in the corner outside, and drilled straight through to the CU?

Sponsored Links
not even in the zone

typical of new build house wiring... cowboys the lot of thembring back the old clerk of works..

on the subject of this i would find out who carried out the work and if in the niceic report them.. because sure as eggs are eggs all the other houses will be the same and some on might get hurt..

pi sses me right off

sorry didnt see the bodged repair.. :eek:

the simplest thing to do is sink a twin metal box in line and below the with the mains tails fit a blank plate ..

this will create a zone for the cables to run above..

you could say a dummy zone :)

then in future you will be reminded they are there..

If the tails ran through the boxe(es) this would serve as an inspection box and people would know where the cables are.

I realise it's page 6 already but...

...where do you think these tails would be had they been correctly installed in the first place?

Direct entry at that corner, from outside, would still be 2.5feet from the rear of the consumer unit which would then have to be moved.

This is rapidly turning into a nightmare scenario.

My question was more a general one to everyone.

Bearing in mind that the window is above the meter cabinet, if the house was being built now where would the cables be routed?

Fancy a trip to Cardiff to sort it for me? What about if the tails were in that trunking posted earlier would that make it comply if it were earthed and protected with an rcd?

Who should I call in the relevant trade body to get this checked out after they have been tomorrow?

Not really. I'm in Wrexham all week, but Cardiff is a bit out of my way :LOL:

Ideally the meter cabinet or the window would have been located elsewhere so the tails could drop straight down from the CU to the meter cabinet.

You probably couldn't install the trunking as flushing it into the wall would structurally weaken the wall too much.

RCD is not an option either, as it needs to be 30mA to offer protection against electric shock, but this leaves you non compliant as you now have a single point of failure.

What about a SWA run i n the route that the existing tails take. Terminate it into a metal clad switch fuse at the meter cabinet end, and a new flush box next to the CU with the cable terminated into it and a blank plate over it.

It's still not ideal, but is compliant with the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back