Damaged Felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people, I just went up into the space in my eaves to store some stuff and noticed that there is a small hole about the size of a saucer in my felt, I can kind of see daylight through it and it looks like it has been leaking a little bit, Is this something that can be patched up, all the rest of the felt looks dry and in one piece its just this one small section?

Sponsored Links
Don't be concerned about the hole in the felt, if water has been leaking in, you need to find where it's getting in through the primary roof covering.
The water could be from condensation under the slates/tiles running down the felt. Might be worth having a look next time you have heavy rain and see if it is leaking. If it turns out it might just be condensation you could patch it up with a new piece of felt. and some gaffer tape.

Will have a look next time its ****ing down. It looks like the other side of the felt there is some concrete type substance, not sure if this is just the remnants of an old tile, From the street they all look good, wondering if one has slipped slightly, I had a board down underneath and if I had to guess I would say it leaked about a cups worth of water, maybe less, I now have a bucket under so I can monitor the amount. Just a bit concerned about having to spend hundreds to get it fixed, I do know a roofer so will get him to come and have a look, Bit scared about the answer to be honest.

The thing with water coming in through a hole in the felt is that the water could actually be coming in from anywhere above.
As I said earlier if you are getting it running in during rain then it's probably a leak but if it's dripping during dry weather is more likely to be condensation. some times you have no problems until freezing conditions. In normal conditions the condensation doesn't have a chance to really form, but is carried away by air flow, however in freezing conditions the condensation can build up as ice on the underside of the slates/tiles, when this melts it runs down the felt.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back