Damaged Lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems that i have a lot of ants on my lawn and it is these that are damaging it, what can i put on it to kill the ants off and not damage the lawn

Sponsored Links
Nippon gel is very effective.

Do you have a very sandy soil? Ants generally dont do real damage and are harmless and hard-working litle things. What makes you think they are damaging it?

The Lawn in the area where the ants are is not sandy but is quite dusty, gargen is top soil on mostly clay. Thought it might be leather jackets but is probably too early for that

please describe the damage.

Ants usually do little but dig out loose sandy soil to make a nest.

Sponsored Links
Ok, have sent a couple of pics that will get uploaded, i have had a look at the problem as it is actually my fathers lawn, he has raked several areas on a high setting as done many times before, you would think with all the rain it would be in really good shape, i couldn't see any ants myself and don't see how they could have done this, he has also fed the lawn .

http://file034a.bebo.com/6/large/2007/06/23/08/35902225a4764794341l.jpg
http://file034a.bebo.com/6/large/2007/06/23/08/35902225a4764794364l.jpg

All I see is a brown patch. no reason why it should be ants. might have been over-mown, dried out, or had a fungal disease.

You might mow the who thing short and brush in some more lawn seed, then it will regrow and green up.

My father said there were a whole load of ants on the grass, thats why he thought it might be them as his grass is generally in excellant condition, and with al the rain you would think it would be a bit better than this.

well surely if its a brown patch something killed it / it dried out.

cant see it being ants, been around for millions of years

How old is your lawn?
How much foot traffic does it get?
When was the last time you scarified, or aerated it?

Lawn would be 30 yrs old and gets very little traffic on it, it was scarified about 5 weeks ago with a rake, it has never been aerated apparently but then most of the lawn is ok

Is it possible that a neighbour has recently acquired a dog which likes to use your dads lawn as a toilet?

Or could it even be foxes doing the dirty?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back