Damp and Mould ...here comes the hysteria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the land lords we have worked for

One has to feel sorry for em as the tenants wreck the place

Water through the ceiling from the shower due to there in ability to tuck a shower curtain in ir continue to use despite knowing there is an issue

Tenants that go down to the pound shop and purchase a push on shower attachment for the bath taps be it that the bathroom was never designed for a shower
Walls not fully tiled ect they don’t care

Houses totally wrecked by tenants

No wonder many land lords are getting out of the market

Sponsored Links
Some of the land lords we have worked for

One has to feel sorry for em as the tenants wreck the place

Water through the ceiling from the shower due to there in ability to tuck a shower curtain in ir continue to use despite knowing there is an issue

Tenants that go down to the pound shop and purchase a push on shower attachment for the bath taps be it that the bathroom was never designed for a shower
Walls not fully tiled ect they don’t care

Houses totally wrecked by tenants

No wonder many land lords are getting out of the market
I've got a tenant at present, place is like a tip, not paid rents for months. Added bonus of being in Scotland, our beloved SNP & Greens introduced a rent rise and eviction freeze a few months back until end of March 2023, to be reviewed thereafter. There 'are' some exceptions whereby evictions will still be granted but the whole thing is more and more geared towards the tenant up here as opposed to being 50/50 in terms of fairness.

But hey, all landlords are raking it in and own Ferraris, Porches, mansions, the lot ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes it should have been clean when they took it on, thereafter it's their responsibility, nobody else's. Yes the landlord could/should have warned them, but once it starts the tenant can see it, then the tenant is wrong to ignore it.
Landlords aren't nannies.
I had a bad tenant, once, 'nuff said.

From what I read the family were complaining and making the landlord aware. Their child was ill. I'm not saying the family had no fault but the landlord has a responsibility in educating the Tennants and dealing with problems

Basic advice in this game ( plumbing)

If possible don’t work in social housing

Don’t work for property developers or builders unless you get paid up front

From what I read the family were complaining and making the landlord aware. Their child was ill. I'm not saying the family had no fault but the landlord has a responsibility in educating the Tennants and dealing with problems
Fair comment.
Buuuut,...
Was there anything faulty with the property? I haven't seen anything to say so. Dunno.
Is there anything anywhere saying keep the property ventilated? Dunno that either. There must be Ts & Cs; any council tenants reading this?
Does a tenant need educating on the ultra-basics of living in a house?
Did nobody anywhere ever, say to him that if he has mould he should clean it off and ventilate? (On reflection, I've slept in a few mingin mud huts, but none of them suffered from condensation! It was Africa...)
I expect he was down the doctor with the kid quite a lot, what did the doc say? The doc has at least as much of a duty of health care as the landlord.

Fair comment.
Buuuut,...
Was there anything faulty with the property? I haven't seen anything to say so. Dunno.
Is there anything anywhere saying keep the property ventilated? Dunno that either. There must be Ts & Cs; any council tenants reading this?
Does a tenant need educating on the ultra-basics of living in a house?
Did nobody anywhere ever, say to him that if he has mould he should clean it off and ventilate? (On reflection, I've slept in a few mingin mud huts, but none of them suffered from condensation! It was Africa...)
I expect he was down the doctor with the kid quite a lot, what did the doc say? The doc has at least as much of a duty of health care as the landlord.

This little boy was let down by his parents as much as it hurts they need to accept some of the blame.
But the Landlord is responsible as well as who ever constructed the property.

I get mould in my house. I'm not an expert an I'm doing things to try to deal with it

It isn't an isolated case, either - @theDailyMirror.co.uk - families around the Freehold Estate in Rochdale have complained for many years about damp and mould with nothing done about their living conditions. One man living in his flat for ten years after a stroke was told "if you don't like it, move".

0_SANPICS_MOULD_21JPG.jpg

Those windows don't appear to allow a great deal of ventilation into the rooms and concrete blocks like that aren't designed to let air flow through. Switch on the heating and you're creating an incubator for all kinds of damp and mould problems to develop over time.
You can blame one instance of ignorance or neglect to allow these problems to develop but when so many people from different parts of the estate report similar issues it becomes clear the fault lies with the building.
Over half the people here have reported issues and the council is spending £1.2m to install ventilation that should've been installed in the construction. It wasn't done because this is social housing and isn't allocated sufficient funding in the first place.

The latest British Housing survey found mould and damp affecting 839,000 homes. And housing ombudsman Richard Blakeway reported seeing “a dramatic increase in the case work on damp and mould” in social housing.
“Fuel poverty like this can lead to cold, damp living conditions causing a build up of mould and can cause serious illness. Good housing and an end to fuel poverty are essential.”
Mr Gove revealed that at least 2.3 million homes failed to meet the Decent Homes Standard. Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham said: “Too many landlords are being let off the hook.” But he said he had been “encouraged by the positive response” from Mr Gove to proposals to improve housing standards.

Quite often for some such householders, this can be the first time that they are responsible for running a household and controlling their living conditions. It frequently isn't anything taught at home and when people set up their own home, they have to learn from experience.
Sure, there are sites such as this that offer advice, but one needs to be able to read and write in English, and have an understanding of the internet and have access to it. There used to be government funded ESL (English as a second language) courses for immigrants. I don't know if they're still available.
Maintaining a healthy home in a cold damp environment is very different from the same in other environments.
In this instance the housing organisation should have realised there was a severe problem and pulled out the stops to rectify it.

I remember a friend telling me of their first experience, when arriving here as an refugee. They escaped from a conflict area some 50 years ago, and were accepted by UK as part of a resettlement scheme. They were provided with one year ESL at a college, and a job was found for them in a care home.
One day they were asked to clean the toaster, they immersed it in a bowl of water!. They had no concept of an electric toaster, nor of many electric gadgets. They had no concept of a fridge, a washing machine, etc. before.
It is easy for us to fail to appreciate the culture shock for some refugees and migrants.

Quite often for some such householders, this can be the first time that they are responsible for running a household and controlling their living conditions. It frequently isn't anything taught at home and when people set up their own home, they have to learn from experience.
Sure, there are sites such as this that offer advice, but one needs to be able to read and write in English, and have an understanding of the internet and have access to it. There used to be government funded ESL (English as a second language) courses for immigrants. I don't know if they're still available.
Maintaining a healthy home in a cold damp environment is very different from the same in other environments.
In this instance the housing organisation should have realised there was a severe problem and pulled out the stops to rectify it.

I remember a friend telling me of their first experience, when arriving here as an refugee. They escaped from a conflict area some 50 years ago, and were accepted by UK as part of a resettlement scheme. They were provided with one year ESL at a college, and a job was found for them in a care home.
One day they were asked to clean the toaster, they immersed it in a bowl of water!. They had no concept of an electric toaster, nor of many electric gadgets. They had no concept of a fridge, a washing machine, etc. before.
It is easy for us to fail to appreciate the culture shock for some refugees and migrants.
My mrs tried to cook pork chops in a toaster, she is from Swansea mind.

From a laymans point of view black mould is caused by 'the building' & therefore it must be the 'responsibility' of the buildings owner.

Anyone who has ever tackled the problem of black mould will have learned that it isn't 'the building' that causes the problem, it is down to the way the building is used.

I am no longer involved in residential letting for many of the reasons already exposed (& I can add a few more).

As a landlord, am I responsible for how a tenant uses a building? Am I responsible for their H&S standards, the COSHH & HAZMAT compliance & all the other 'rules' that users of commercial & industial buildings are responsible for . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back