Damp around first floor chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a bit of a problem!

I've recently moved into a 1970's semi. In the last couple of months the wall surrounding the chimney breast on the first floor seems to have developed rather a large amount of damp:

I understand the previous owner had the lead flashing around the chimney replaced fairly recently (you could see a small amount of recent water damage around the unplastered chimney in the loft), but the wall in question looks like the paint is a couple of years old. I had new loft insulation installed right before it started, but I don't think this is to blame as the chimney is damp above the loft insulation (by testing with a damp meter).

I do have an oil boiler that I believe is vented through the chimney.

I have just started to strip the paint as mould has started to appear, and the damp seems to go all the way up, and is now starting to affect the (artex) ceiling, which I REALLY don't want to touch! The walls on the other side of the chimney are mostly wallpapered so its harder to see the damage.

Looking from the ground, I can't see a chimney cap, could this be the cause with all of the recent heavy rain, or does it look like something else?

If I find the root of the problem and sort it will it all dry out, or am I likely to have to replaster?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
This subject has come up time and again recently - perhaps if you researched a little, things might be clearer for you.

Lots of clear, right way up pics of all affected areas, and some external pics, will help your cause.

For now: no damp course. Heat and vent the property. Some replastering will be necessary. How is the boiler vented thro the flue? Does the flue/liner have a terminal?

Someone will have to inspect the chimney stack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back