Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, hoping someone would provide some guidance if possible. In my house one of the bedrooms gets a bad damp problem from condensation, this looks to be the worst I’ve seen it. It was built in the 1950’s, there has been insulation laid in the attic, only on the ceiling level which I think makes it a cold roof. There is insulation laid on the flat bit of the ceiling boards, but I don’t think there is any insulation on the dip to the top of the blockwork wall. Do you think this could be a cold bridging problem? Is it a case of adding some insulation to this dip? All advice would be hugely welcome, I think this could be the problem but wondering if it could be anything else?

Thank you so much in advance

Attachments

• D5458F54-7B72-4C36-8FDA-E87404763924.jpeg
    D5458F54-7B72-4C36-8FDA-E87404763924.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 46
  • AC264F41-CF06-4A34-ADC0-65638D2EF513.jpeg
    AC264F41-CF06-4A34-ADC0-65638D2EF513.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 42
  • 29C8FA4D-8363-454E-8DC1-795E5962DA73.jpeg
    29C8FA4D-8363-454E-8DC1-795E5962DA73.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
There needs to be a ventilation gap for the eaves but yours may be bigger than required. Check there are no problems with the roofing felt.

Blup

That looks quite bad. As Blup says also.
I have similar ceilings and although I did not have any condensation damp issues I insulated the slope from the atic by cutting some foam insulation to the size of the rafter space and the depth of the sloping section and pushing down from the top. Its almost impossible to do it without the insulation going off course so I added two strips of thicker insulation so that it kept it pressed against the plasterboard and did not move up to touch the felt. This kept the air gap and insulated the slope.
Its such an awkward tight spot where the rafters meet the joists laying on your frount with your arm out streched so I colud'nt even push it down and then get a stick to tap it to touch the plasterboard. I also first had to remove the fibreglass insulation so I could see the ceiling joists so I could put down a wooden board to lay across. Also get your self one of these for the job
Face mask

Hi everyone, hoping someone would provide some guidance if possible. In my house one of the bedrooms gets a bad damp problem from condensation, this looks to be the worst I’ve seen it. It was built in the 1950’s, there has been insulation laid in the attic, only on the ceiling level which I think makes it a cold roof. There is insulation laid on the flat bit of the ceiling boards, but I don’t think there is any insulation on the dip to the top of the blockwork wall. Do you think this could be a cold bridging problem? Is it a case of adding some insulation to this dip? All advice would be hugely welcome, I think this could be the problem but wondering if it could be anything else?

Thank you so much in advance
It is one of the most overlooked parts of any older property, in terms of insulation. I'd insulate from below, i.e. lose some height, using as thick a sheet of PIR insulation as I dare.

Sponsored Links
Lack of bricks due to strikes and low production after the war ment a few courses of bricks left off new builds. This meant you got a sloping ceiling. It's tight to roof with no insulation.
Remove slope.
Insulated board and skim.
Means the slope will move in a bit but problem solved. It's very common in some areas built at that time

Lack of bricks due to strikes and low production after the war ment a few courses of bricks left off new builds. This meant you got a sloping ceiling. It's tight to roof with no insulation.
Remove slope.
Insulated board and skim.
Means the slope will move in a bit but problem solved. It's very common in some areas built at that time
I did not know that _ thought it was just a design thing , my house is mid 60s.
The rafters meet with the joists and are nailed there, the rafters then carry on down and the plasterboard is nailed to the rafters making the slope.
Leaving a 4 inch or so gap between the felt and the plasterboard at the slope. I wish I had thought about doing it internally rather than faffing in the attic on my stomach

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back